Would you sue your empolyer?

Ladies, I really need your help. I was fired today from my job because of my attendance. I am mad at myself for not getting to work on time. But I am more mad at my boss who has his favorites. I know for sure, that a team leader on the job is consistently late to work. This team leader does not clock in when their late, therefore, their lateness is not accounted for. Meaning, the boss does not see that they are late in writing. So, they don't have to put their time being late into the system. Okay, this is the kicker. My boss does know that this person is always late. I know this because one of the team members under this team leader told the boss that the team leader was always late. So the boss told the team leader to start being on time, cause someone is watching. I hope you understand this. I only want to sue the company if I am not able to get unemployment. If I can get employment, I will be happy.

notlott37

Asked by notlott37 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• If your previous employer chooses to fight your unemployment claim, they probably will win because they have a resonable expecation for you to be at work on time. They may not choose to fight your claim, however, so you could collect by default. As for suing, don't waste your time. I agree with previous posts on this. You need to be working on yourself and getting a job instead of suing your employer for firing you for something you knew you shouldn't be doing. You are going to need that time for finding a job as we all know how the job market is right now.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you'd win. If the person isn't clocking in, there's no hard proof that he's always late. You should be able to get unemployment, but idk with the attendance issues... Good luck. Don't bother suing.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I dont think you should sue the company for firing you for tardiness. Really you are only responsible for yourself and you admit your attendance/on time was poor. Just cause they let it slide for management is no reason to sue IMO. They could easily say that the manager is on salary so they stay late and come in late sometimes and it doesnt matter for them but it would matter for an hourly employee. Life isnt fair and its kinda what we tell are children, you cnat hardly point the finger and say "But they did it too!"
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Okay I don't get it, what does somebody elses performance has to do with yours? You know you were late, so what is the dispute? Frivolous law suit can come and bite you in the behind. All of us tax payers end up picking up the tab for people who don't accept personal responsibility.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• In most states most employers can fire people for any reason. If the reason is good enough then you can't collect unemployment. Being late may be a good enough reason to fire someone. It probably wouldn't matter what other people do.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• They have solid evidence against you. I don't think you would win. I know it doesn't seem fair, but that's life.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Unless you stole or were violent, you will be able to collect unemployment.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You're able to collect unemployment because you were fired. You have no grounds for a lagitamate case anyhow. You were not ontime, so you were fired for your neglegence. The other people you speak of do not have any matter in your being fired, because their being late has nothing to do with you. You were caught being late on a regular basis, therefore you were fired. This other person may have been tattled on, but the boss may have no evidence aside from hearsay. He has no grounds to fire her if he doesn't have evidence that, that person is continuously late. You clocked in late on a repeated basis, therefore you were fired. Just chalk it up to you being neglegant and get on with it. Ontop of that, if you're filing your unemployment you clearly wouldn't have the income to pay for a lawyer. You'd run yourself dry trying to take this case to court, where you would clearly lose.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You should be eligible for unemployment. I encountered a boss like this two years ago, only I wasn't in trouble for tardiness, but was targeted for accuracy. The work allowance for inaccuracy was 3/day, and my boss put my work on audit at 2pm because I'd had 2 errors in an hour. (After the first error, the claim was sent back to me, and I processed it the way I had the 1st time, and received a 2nd error. Another auditor examined the claim and removed BOTH the errors, as I had processed the claim correctly.) Even with both errors removed, my supervisor put me on audit for 6 wks. 3 days before I was to get off audit, I had another error, and I received a nasty email from my sup basically saying, "One more error = termination." Even though I hadn't had an error in over 5 weeks, the VERY DAY I was off audit, my job was terminated for 4 errors I'd accrued during the 1st week on audit!

I left gladly, and soaked up unemployment!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• there is NO way you would win sueing for this. you were late.. you were fired. it doesnt matter what anyone else does. period. im sure they have documentation to back up their reason for firing you. lesson learned for you.. maybe next time you will take your job more seriously and become a better employee.. you are a mom. you should learn to be more responsible and not try to sue people for your lack of work ethic
    Anonymous