Question for moms with LATE WALKERS How late did your child walk? Did they require Physical Therapy or did they just follow the natural progression??

First off i want to say if you are coming to tell me 10 months.. this is for moms who had children walk Later than a year and secondly i really just don't want to hear the bragging of my child did it at 10 months and mine did it at 9 i don't care i am not interested. So please don't respond.

I have had a baby walk early BUT I also know that ALL children are different. My son is 19 months and is cruising but not all out walking yet. I am not worried as he has gone thru the natural progression of things. The Dr and i seem to disagree though on Physical Therapy. I don't think he needs it he was slow to start moving and because he started moving later i feel the walking although not happening now will happen later.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, my son stood alone at 9 months, but, never actually walked alone until 14 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My son was born premature, and didn't start walking till 18 months, he is currently going through therapy to help him, he walks fully, just needs some help with right leg,
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 5:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My DD started walking at 16mos, she's still getting the hang of it at 18mos. I think most docs get concerned if they're not walking by 18mos.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My son didn't start walking til 17 months. Doc wasn't worried, because he was relatively on schedule with everything else (everything was late with him, but in typical order and everything else was fine). No PT, no intervention, since nothing was wrong with him, he just finally did it on his own. It was hard waiting for him to do it, but we let him do it in his own time, and I'm glad we let him take his time!
    Anonymous

• I'm answering this as the mom of an early walker....who needs PT.

Do it. Get the evaluation and give him help if it's available and he's eligible. Why make him work that much harder and be that much more behind his peers if he doesn't have to be? It's only going to help him.

You can disagree all you want. My son was an early walker...I'll not say how young since you feel it's bragging...but he still has global low motor tone. He's always been awkward and not as "able" as his peers. It wasn't really discovered until he was THREE, when I saw him in a gym class with his age group.

It's great that he's cruising. He might just need a little strengthening and extra help to take off. Nothing wrong with waiting for him to do it on his own, but why when help is available?!
    Anonymous

• My son didn't walk until 16 1/2 months and it was a while before he was particularly stable on his feet. He has done pretty much everything late. He was a preemie but only 6 weeks early and did things late even when age adjusted. I'd follow your doctor's advice and look into PT. My concern would be that because he isn't walking, he's going to fall behind in other related areas as well, particularly socially. Even if you believe he'll be able to do it on his own, it doesn't hurt to get some help. We did that for our son for both speech and some cognitive delays. None were major but it helped him close the gap. Might he have done just fine on his own, perhaps but this way I knew he'd catch up and if there were any larger underlying problems, they'd be spotted.
    Anonymous

• Yes, get him eval'd for First Steps. its free, they come to your house, and it really helps. Why not give your kiddo the chance to catch up to his peers. The first step program only lasts until they are 3 then its over. The sooner you start, the more access he will have to truly great program.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The main reason i am NOT worried is because he plays VERY well with other children, the only issue he has is he is not running around. He is on the small side but always has been. We have worked very hard with him at home and he has made very good progress, even the dr said that he has made good progress 3 months ago he wasn't able to stand on his own or pull himself up he is now doing that and cruising, that is why i am believing that his progression although slower is right at his own pace.
    Anonymous

• My first two walked early, 9-10 months. They did everything else on target. My third is my late walker. She is 15 months old and not walking yet. She just now started cruising. She did everything late -- held her head up late, held onto Moro reflex late (past 6 months), sat up very late...I think at 8 months, rolled late, etc. At 6 months, her pedi referred her to Infant Toddler Services (Early Childhood Intervention). She has been doing that since then. They said once she walks she won't need it any more! She does fine with everything else. She was diagnosed with hypotonia. (floppy baby)
    If you're concerned, you can get your child evaluated for free at your local ECI (without a doctor's request, I think). They come to your house for all appointments, so that makes it VERY nice. They are a county service and ALL their services are free. They will evaluate him in all areas and tell you if he's behind.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My daughter didn't start crawling until like 10.5 months (she scooted before that). She started standing right after she started crawling, but didn't really walk until 14 months. We didn't do anything or take her to physical therapy. We just let her walk on her own time, when she was ready.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2009