baby talk

do you talk to your baby in baby talk or like you would to an adult?

xxSummaxx13

Asked by xxSummaxx13 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly i can't stand the sound of baby talk it just makes my skin crawl. i always use words with my daughter she will be two and was speaking in complete sentences at 1. i feel that if you speak in words to them they figure it out sooner whats what and how to use their voices to get what they need.
    audreyhv6207

Answer by audreyhv6207 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I did both. Small babies like the sing-song sound of babytalk. Although, as soon as he started talking at all, I made sure to talk as an adult to him and made sure he spoke correctly as well. While reserving babytalk when just playing around only...we still do that even at 13...sometimes he hates it, sometimes he doesn't. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I always use words. The tone I use differs with babies -- I make it more sing-songy sometimes instead of conversational. But it seems to amuse them just as much when I talk to myself. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I don't use baby talk, but a sing song type of voice. My LO still likes that. I also try and correct the words that she says incorrectly unless they are really cute and very close to the right word.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Baby talk is never a good idea (per our speech therapist). Even as infants, they are learning to speak. They pick up their initial sounds from what they hear...and if they're hearing garbage, they're going to speak in garbage.

Just use real words. It's about tone. You can read the Wall Street Journal to a baby if you have the right tone!!!
    Anonymous

• I did both. When my son started to actually understand what I was saying to him, is when I pretty much stopped the baby talk thing.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Baby talk =/= delayed speech. I did baby talk at first. My son spoke in complete sentences at one and complete paragraphs by 1.5. So, it's all in how you do it. He started speaking at 7 months. So, I quit then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2009