Similac Formula

My babys doctor switched him from Advanced to Isomil because he is gassy & fussy & its supposed to help. Does it? & She also told me to mix in a spoon of rice cereal with every bottle. He is 8 weeks old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies under 4 months should not have any solids including rice cereal. Time to get a new doctor.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Sometimes the added rice can help with reflux which may be part of why he is fussy. I don't know about the gassy part, try mylicon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Gassy and fussy is normal of a formula fed infant. Soy carries many risks, as does adding rice cereal to a baby that young's diet.
    Read info here on why you should avoid soy unless there's a true dairy allergy: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp#T031004

As for the rice cereal... I just don't see how that would help gassy and fussy, the only time it's recommended is for a baby who has reflux so bad they aren't able to gain weight.

If you want a fix for the gassy and fussy, look into relactating. Both are far less common with breastfed infants.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My pediatrician says a baby should never, ever get rice cereal before 4 months old unless it is prescribed for severe reflux. I'd talk to another pediatrician if I were you.

As for the formula recommendation, if it's just gas and not digestive or allergy issues, then try infant gas drops (Mylicon or a generic) and believe it or not the Walmart Parent's Choice formula. It's just as nutritious as the expensive formulas but when mixed produces a lot less bubbles and a whole lot less gas than Similac or Enfamil.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• get a new doc rice cereal is too hard on tiny ones tummies. not okay that she would even recomend it.
    audreyhv6207

Answer by audreyhv6207 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I just wanted to add that the advice your dr gave you was for reflux, not gas. The advice I gave is for gas. If your baby truly is just gassy, try the Mylicon and the Parent's Choice milk based formula. Listen to what LeanneC says about soy. Not only is it full of plant based estrogens, but soy is a legume like peanuts and early exposure can lead to serious allergies later. Soy should only be given if a milk allergy is suspected.

Also, for gas, try the Dr. Brown's bottles. They are a bit more trouble to clean than the average bottle, but they really do cut down on gas and colic.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It is NOT normal for ANY baby to be gassy and fussy!! I get so sick of you guys passing on your misinformation.

The cereal is usually added for reflux...that would probably be the excess fussiness during feedings if that is what you're writing about. (ignore Gailll....despite what she thinks she does NOT know it all)

The extra gassiness could be something in the milk based formula. I will recommend mixing the formula ahead of time if you're using powdered (which is more cost effective) and warm the bottle from the fridge. Shaking the bottle introduces air, which is then ingested by the baby....hence gas.

The best bottles I've used (all three times) were Playtex drop ins because you can squeeze the extra air out of the liner, and there is so much less to clean up!!! (dr. brown don't always work and all the extra pieces are a pain in the ass to clean...not to mention the EXPENSE)

cont...
    Anonymous

• cont...

I would call the doctor for a better measurement than just a "spoon" of cereal...tablespoon, teaspoon, baby spoon, soup spoon??
    Anonymous

• Oh, and for the "risks" of soy...there are none. That is the biggest bit of misinformation out there. He'll be fine on soy. My oldest was on it for 8 months and he's fine.
    Anonymous

• I had to use cereal when my oldest DD was just 4 weeks old. She had severe reflux since birth and she was very malnourished. We had to do this to try and keep some of the nutrients in her. The cereal thing didn't really help though, even the meds didn't help her. She developed gastric ulcers at 10 months old *very rare*.She is now 4 years old and had a fundoplication to stop the reflux.

With the formula, I would also ask your ped about Similac Allimentum. My youngest DD has reflux also, she is on medicine for it too. But we had her on Enfamil, Neocate, and now the Allimentum and she was a VERY gassy and fussy baby. We seen a complete turn around! Hasn't been refluxing as much either!
    I don't agree to switch ped's though, my daughter was a preemie and she was on the cereal and she is fine. YOUR doctor would NEVER put a baby in danger!! My ped did it with my oldest one and she saved her life!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009