What do you do when your toddler tells you "no"?

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I told her you are going to do it anyway.

Answer by louise2 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• When your toddler tells you no you give them a choice. Tell them if they don't make the choice you will make it for them. You can put on your shoes or I will put them on for you.

When your toddler starts saying no or stops obeying when you say no it may be a sign you are saying no way too much. No should be saved for important things and stop should be saved for life and death things. If you over use these words you have nothing left.

This is a great article about getting cooperation without saying no.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• So this is like an everday occurance right? lol
    I sush their lips.
    Make them say yes maam. This is why I support kids saying yes mam or yes sir, its to make the child do what they are told and to stop a child from talking back or arguing and trying to control the situation.
    Get down on their level and tell them they need to obey.
    Give them choices sometimes so the answer is not "no." from the child.
    Some days, they just get sent straight to their room.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• inside.... I roll my eyes, shudder and groan here we go again. lol

I give an option and if the answer is still no then they lose a privilege or something
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I am learning not to ask or give options. Instead of saying "will you get in your car seat" I say "it's time to get in your car seat". Then, the no is defiance, not simply an answer, and I can treat it as such. When I ask and she says no, I really can't discipline that because I asked, she answered.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I go over to him, tell him no isn't an option and he needs to listen. I tell him this is his warning, if he wants to listen, great. If not, then time out, toy taken, etc.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• By a toddler, you mean under 2 or 3 years old? If they are under 2, I tend to just laugh inside. They are showing their independence and they may have just learned a new word. At 2, my son said no for everything even when he meant yes. They may not understand what the word even means.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Chloe is 2, and she most CERTAINLY knows what it means *sigh*
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have a 19 month old...I mostly just try not to smile or laugh because it's just too cute.
    LoveMyLife28

Answer by LoveMyLife28 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I try not to laugh and ask her again. Depending on what I'm asking of her, I'll work with her to get it accomplished. I also try giving her a choice. DD is lucky she is cute. It's not too often that her defiance actually really pisses me off. Mostly it amuses me.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2009