When starting to spoon feed baby

do you have to start with the cereal or can you go straight to say...green beans?

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can go straight to whatever you please. I only use cereal at first because it gets them use to the fact that its food in their mouth not liquid. Also the cereal is lighter on the tummy at first rather than straight to some fruits or veggies. Its ultimately up to you though. Good luck! Hope baby likes it!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I never just did cereal at the beginning. People just suggest you do one at a time, no matter what it is, so you know if they're allergic to whatever it is your giving them...and it's easier to narrow it down if you introduce foods one at a time.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Banana, sweet potato, and avocado are good first solids. Green beans aren't very nutritious and would be hard to mash up. Of course I am talking about real food not baby food. You never need baby foods, cereals, cookies, puffs, ect. They are expensive, processed, and most don't taste good.

You don't have to spoon feed. You can put mashed food in front of the baby and let the baby go for it. It's better than spoon feeding.

You can start from 4-6 months. Around 4 months may be ok for the formula fed baby. It's good to wait until 6 months or even longer for the breastfed baby because breastmilk is the best thing for babies.

www.kellymom.com is a breastfeeding website but it has good starting solids info for all babies
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I'm sorry but I don't think any feeding would happen if I put mush in front of my 5 month old lol
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Again, gailll.....it is recommended that formula fed babies WAIT UNTIL 6 MONTHS!!!!!!!!

The main reason it is usually said to start with cereal is a) tradition and b) all the grains have to be tried as well as all the other foods...so it's easy. That's all. Do you have to start with cereal? Nope. And you can introduce foods in any order you want (I actually did it alphabetically LOL)

The general recommendation is, in fact, 4-6 months...closer to 6 for EITHER formula fed or breastfed despite what Gailll seems to think.
    Anonymous

• At 6 mos+ I started with avacodo and also banana. Later I mixed the cereal with the veggies/fruit. That way the baby got the iron and more nutrients..plus it has to taste better than straight cereal. I made all my babyfood though so the cereal was more of a "thickener" for me.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2009