36 years old have have just developed a phobia...is this weird??

I keep having horrible nightmares that the house catches fire, and I can't get all my kids out...like almost every night. I have developed a fear of fire... now, I can not sleep with the heater on anymore.

What can I do to get over this? I even think about it during the day and start to panic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• its not weird, a person can develop a phobia at any time. If it is severe enough therapy may be required to get over it, I would suggest looking up information about phobias there are a number of reputable mental health sites that should be able to provide basic information
    Anonymous

• I like anon's answer. I'd also recommend that you do what you can to keep your fear from happening. Your fear, from what I can see, is only partly fear of fire in the house, it is mainly that you can't get all of the children out. So read up on what to do in case of fire. Have fire drills and set a firm place to meet. Teach the children what to do in case of fire ,(drop and roll, or something like this.) If you have second floor bedrooms, make sure there is escape from each room, and those fire ladders if needed (they attach over the window sill and drop down.)

Answer by Bmat at 7:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2009