Breastfeeding for more than a year? Awkward

My baby has 12 teeth and is really tall for his age and very active and talks and knows lots of things and I just feel awkward showing him my breast anymore. He drinks from a regular cup and eats all foods, including veggies. He only takes my boobs because he feels obligated, as if not to hurt my feelings. He said the other night "mommy let's do the feeding", it sounded terrible. Is it ok to stop now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 year old never talked quite that well or that way. Now that she's almost 3 she still wouldn't say anything like that.
    Anonymous

• He's eating "all foods, including veggies." He doesn't NEED it any longer. If he's only doing it because he "feels obligated" then he doesn't need it.

If he comes to you and you want to nurse your toddler, fine....but he doesn't NEED it any longer.
    Anonymous

• I really think this is a made up question. 12 month old babies don't speak in sentences. They don't feel obligated to breastfeed. Their brains are hardwired to breastfeed for survival.

Babies shouldn't be deprived of human milk because their mothers feel awkward. Get over it.

The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. So no, it's not ok to stop until a child is 2.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Ditto Gailll.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Gailll...12 month old babies might not speak in sentences IN GENERAL, but you're wrong to ASSume none do. You're also wrong to ASSume the baby actually spoke that sentence and she wasn't merely writing out what she knows her son meant.

IT is okay for the mother to do what she feels is best for her own baby, who gives a hang about the WHO and their generalities and attempts to apply one thing to ALL babies in the world.
    Anonymous

• And for crying out loud, gailll.....a 12 month old is NOT A BABY!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• breast feeding is only healthier for the baby is the mother is getting proper nutrition, don't believe me, look it up on webmd on the breast feeding diet page it will tell you.

You need to do what is best for you, I didn't breast feed my children for years and they are healthy and happy and fine, if you are uncomfortable with it your child will sense that and it will make it weird for him too if you need to stop now then just stop and don't worry about other mothers getting all self-righteous on you because they are viciously adamant about breast feeding. We are suppose to be supporting each other not bashing or trying to force our views
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 7:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Don't misunderstand me, stop if you want. You'd be very much in the majority. You don't need to justify it to anyone, because no one really cares. Everyone else is doing it. DianeMary, webmd is wrong. There are countless other sites that explain that perfect nutrition is not necessary, and are able to explain that there are risks associated with formula. Formula is a necessary thing, especially when moms can't provide breastmilk. I'm not knocking it. I am knocking the myth that women need the perfect diet to breastfeed. Milk from starving women comes up identical to milk from healthy well fed moms (but with a lower iron content).
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Dianemary, sounds like you need to take your own advice about self righteous moms
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I'm having a really hard time believing a one year old feels obligated to do something, or that he can express himself so clearly... Not buying it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009