Gall Bladder attack

I want to hear your stories : attacks, treatments, surgeries, etc.

I feel sure I am having a gall bladder attack. I never really had much trouble until now. I plan to see my doctor tomorrow unless it gets worse tonight. I have talked with several friends and a family member (who is an RN) who have had the surgery and said my symptoms sound just like theirs was (pain in back and ribs that varies from dull to sharp and only abates for a few minutes to ten minutes at a time, chills, heartburn, nausea, gas, dizzyness, headache over right eye) I don't have a fever, indicating the danger zone, but it is going on 24 hours since onset, so it's pretty bad. At the point that changes I will go to the ER.

NikkiMomof2grls

Asked by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Health

• I have gall bladder issues right now, but special diet has helped tremendously. It started about 5 or 6 months ago. I had just eaten dinner (chili with cheese and sour cream), and had decided to splurge and have some full fat Banana Split Ice Cream (normally I eat the half the fat ice cream). About 15 minutes after i ate the ice cream, I got SEVERE pain under my right lowest rib, and it radiated up to my shoulder and across my chest, and into my back. It was hard to breath, I couldn't stay still because the pain was so bad. I went to the bedroom and laid down, and about 15 minutes later it was gone. I thought, probably gas. The next night, it happened again right after a fatty meal. This time, it lasted for all of 10 minutes before I decided I was going to the ER. I drove myself (don't recommend that!), got there in 10 minutes, and they had me checked in within 30 minutes and in to see the dr. They ran labs said my liver
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• I was very ill. I couldn't drive to the ER and had to stop and call an ambulance. I was hospitalized and ended up getting my gall bladder removed. I don't remember a lot because I was that sick, just bits and pieces. I'm used to being sick and hospitalized so it wasn't just that I was scared.

I had 3 or 4 previous illness that I think were related to my gall bladder. I had head aches, abdominal pain, and vomiting for weeks. Once I was hospitalized to rehydrate and get back on meds because I had been throwing them up for so long.

I had my gall bladder out 2 years ago. I haven't even been nauseated since.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i was eating in a restaurant. As soon as I got done I had a hard time breathing and my back started to hurt. I went to the rest room and I puked everything up. I could barely walk so the place called 911. I got to the hosp aand they checked my heart and put me on a IV. Since it was 6 weeks after I had my baby that automatically assumed that it was my gal bladder but couldn't do a ultra sound because I just ate. After that I didnt have another one until a couple of weeks later, I didnt call the doctors. It hurt that one lasted 8 hours nothing helped, no medicine,not even heating pads. Then I had another one so I called my doctor and got a ultrasound. They found stones and I had surgery that removed my gal bladder. I cant remember the name of my surgery but it was removed from out of my belly button. You can go back to work the next day.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had severe attacks, although I didn't know it was gall stones, because my pain felt like it was in my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack! I went to the ER and they told me I had heartburn, I said TRUST me, this is not heartburn. I constantly was throwing up and had severe headaches. I couldn't eat any dairy, nor anything that was oily and fatty. (sometimes I would cheat and have a bit of ice cream, but boy did I pay for it later!) I would get attacks at any random time and I'd have to throw up, I spent most of my time curled up on the bathroom floor. There wasn't much they could do for me as I was pregnant, but 2 months after I had my daughter I had my gall bladder removed through laproscopic surgery (don't know if that's how you say it, but through the belly button). Surgery was great, went out for lunch afterwards and been making up for all the bad stuff since!
    meeshelmybel

Answer by meeshelmybel at 3:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• enzymes were mildly elevated. They did ultrasound of my entire right side of my abdomen to include liver, pancreas, gallbladder, kidney, lung. Saw nothing abnormal on the ultrasound. The dr had me lay down and pushed right where my gallbladder is, and although the attack had ended, I about flew up off the bed when he did that. So he said definitely gallbladder, but they didn't see any stones at all on the ultrasound. So he sent me home with instructions to follow a low fat, no dairy diet and to follow up with my primary doctor that week. Since I started that diet, I have only had 2 very small incidences of pain which lasted for about 10-15 minutes each but were NOT nearly as severe as the first two. I have been seeing a gastrointerologist and keeping tabs on my liver enzymes (which can be affected by gallstones). The doctor said I had had biliary colic, which was the pain that sent me to the er, that seems to be fairly
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• well controlled by the diet. I go back occasionally to keep my liver enzymes in check, and if I have the pain again and it hangs around, I will go in and have a HIDA scan (I think thats what its called) where they inject dye into you and then do imaging to find tiny stones, etc. They think I may have had a miniscule stone that got lodged into a bile duct that caused the issue, and fatty diet plays a huge role. Something about it makes the gallbladder contract, making it harder for the bile to pass through to the liver. If you are having an attack, you will probably be able to feel a hard lump right under your rib cage just to the right of your breast bone during the actual attack and it will be super tender. I am hoping it all clears up on its own, I don't want any surgeries lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2009