When did you got the training wheels off your kids bikes? How old were they?

My daughter is 3 months to 5, should I take off her training wheels, or is it too early?

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 7:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• mine were both 5 and learned on grass.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My son was 4 & my husband taught him how to ride on the grass.
    Geea

Answer by Geea at 8:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My son was 4-every child is diffrent. My son was early and advanced in sports-yet wouldn't go in the deep end of the pool till he was 6 (he was too scared) the best thing to do is-do not push them into anything. There is no specific age for any child to do anything. Encourage her when she feels brave and ready :) and it wouldn't help to have knee pads, elbow pads and a helmet :)
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My daughter was 3,5 while my son was 5,5. It's different for every child.
    Anonymous

• My oldest daughter was almost 8. My son and middle daughter were both 6 1/2. They were late bloomers when it came to the bike.
    I learned when I was 5 and my husband's nephew was riding without training wheels when he was 3 1/2-4 years old. My youngest will be 4 in April and she's getting her sister's old 16" bike. I don't think we are going to put the training wheels on it, just lower the seat so she can reach the ground and let her go.
    It's been shown that training wheels are actually detrimental to learning to ride a two wheeler.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• my oldest is autistic and so it was 11 yrs for her to learn to ride a 2 wheeler
    2nd child was 5 yrs, 3rd was 4 yrs and the 4th is 5 yrs old now and no interest in bikes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I was 3 when mine came off, and I did fine. My dd was 7 when hers came off. My son is 4 1/2 and still has his on. Take them off, and try it. If it doesn't work out, put them back on.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2009