valueable question for breastfeeding????

Hi I am a second time mother and breastfeeding again. My son is about 7 1/2 weeks and I had to start pumping right away. He could not latch on the breast and just started about 2-3 weeks ago, therefore I had to pump all along. I have been using Mothers milk tea bags 2-4 times a day, I am unsure if it is helping keep up the milk. But this week I noticed a big decrease in the milk and it has me concerned. I try to put him on the breast more often and pump more often. I have this thing about I don't want and am trying my hardest not to supplement with formula. I just purchased the Fenugreek as well. Has anyone tried other things, any foods, any ideas or a good website I can use! Any help..

Prican91181

Asked by Prican91181 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here is what I suggest:

Nurse frequently (every hour, when you are both awake)
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

The fenugreek gave my breastmilk a funky oder...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have heard good things about both supplements. The only sure fire way to get you supply up is to drink plenty of fluids and nurse as often as possible. So continue to nurse often and drink plenty of water. And try to relax, stress can and will decrease milk.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I've heard that fenugreek can be harmful, I don't know a lot about it, but when I felt like my supply was down I looked into it and most of the sites that I trusted said not to try these methods. Make sure you are getting plenty of rest, plenty of fluids, and plenty of good calories. The more you take care of yourself the more your body can focus on making milk.

I also found that oatmeal helped me quite a bit when I had supply problems.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I'm reading this book called Nursing Your Baby by Pryor

http://www.amazon.com/Nursing-Your-Baby-Karen-Pryor/dp/0671745484

It is so filled with great tips! Don't give up.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• drink a lot of water and eat a lot of oatmeal.
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You're supply is lower because of the pumping....baby nursing empties the breast more efficiently and therefore encourages more milk production. I used both the tea and fenugreek in the past and I think it helps initially. You said he wouldn't latch....therefore I would go to a lactation consultant (local hospital or even OB office should have one) to try and correct the latch. My 2nd dd had latch issues and I stuck with it and she finally corrected it at around 3 months with no further issues:) So there is hope! Great job pumping and trying to make it work! It isn't easy when they don't want to latch correctly!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group....we've got a TON of this info in our forum. We can even help you get baby on the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2009