Is it honestly necessary to give cereal to babies?

Can't you just start with jar food instead? I mean they get all of the Iron they need from the formula anyhow right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If I remember correctly the reason you start with cereal is because its easier on the digestive system and it can get them eating food earlier, cereal starts at about 4 months and I think jar food is 6 months
    Anonymous

• You don't ever have to use jar food either. My DD's first food was sweet potatos, then bananas and avacados.
    Anonymous

• They don't need cereal or jarred foods. Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You can read more here: www.babyledweaning.com and here: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Not at all. It's actually one of the worst first foods you could give them!!
    Anonymous

• Cereal and baby food should NOT be started until 6 months. Starting food too early can cause food allergies. They don't need anything extra other than formula or breast milk until 6 months and even then cereal and food are just to supplement the F or BM with a few extra nutrients. It is NOT meant to replace F or BM.
    Anonymous

• I give my son cereal because he tends to spit up, however I make sure he is still getting the same amount of formula he was before he started on cereal, also I started him on baby food last week (he'll be 5 months next week). To rklooms "you never know what is in it", a friend of mine works at Gerber and the first stage peas, green beans, etc... are ONLY peas and water, green beans and water, etc... NOTHING else" I suggest if you are going to buy baby food read the label there are other baby foods that do add preservatives, etc.... you do need to know what's in them, however I am sure Gerber isn't the only one that doesn't add things.
    Anonymous

• Most of the rest of the world starts with fruits/veggies. They are easier to digest than grains. I don't know why the US keeps pushing grains on their kids when its so hard to digest.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• tried cereals ...... major tummy troubles. quit for a month then tried carrots and apples...much better.

you don't have to use jarred crap either...make your own. cook a carrot, puree it and there ya go.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• cereal is not good for babies digestion...start with some organic baby food from jars like earth's best first carrot ect...organic baby food costs little more but it has 2 ingredients, which are whatever the food is and water...i don't plan on giving my son baby cereal until he is much older, and then it will be actual cereal
    Anonymous