Should I give my neighbor clothes?

My nephews(that live with me) have a friend that is always wearing clothes that are ridiculously small on him. He lives with his mom and step dad. His step dad drinks(IDK how often, just that DH has smelled it on him). Is there a way that I can offer clothes to this boy without hurting any feelings or getting him in trouble? I have met his parents but don't know them. Or should I mind my own business.

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 8:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• hmmm I'd say mind your own business since you don't know them. They might find it odd or get offended that a stranger is giving them a gift of clothes (but they might be grateful...you never know). That is a VERY kind gesture though!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i say go for it. just tell them that the kids outgrew them and you thought they might fit her little boy.
    mustanggrl74

Answer by mustanggrl74 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I agree with mustanggrl74 parents often appreciate hand me downs, cause clothes are so expensive and children grow so fast and doing it in that way will be looked at as being thoughtful and not like you are butting in
    Anonymous

• I say go for it. They may be having financial issues and not want to say anything. You are being thoughtful, not nosey. I give clothes to my old boss on a regular basis. She loves getting almost new clothes for her sons because she doesn't make a lot of money and has 4 boys to clothe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• just say hey we're clearing out a closet and want to know if you can use these clothes? its easier than trying to find somewhere to take them....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The way I would approach it would be to put the clothes in abag as if you were going to drop them off to goodwill or such but stop over there and tell her that you have alot of clothes you think would be his size if she wanted to go through them and get whatever she wanted then she could donate, pass on or pitch whatever she didnt like. i think its a way of saying "hey if you need these you can have them" with out sounding like a charity case or anything.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 12:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Just put them on their porch when they aren't home
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• just leave them anonymously..... it'll protect you and give them the hint.. just make sure if it's hand-me-downs that it's not clothes that were obviously worn by your nephews.
    justminick

Answer by justminick at 1:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I agree that I would give them to her. I know I myself always appreciate clothing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• just take them over and say that you were going through clothes and that these don't fit your nephews anymore and that you wanted to know if they wanted to check them out before took them to consignment.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2009