How old where your children when they got to pronounce the letters "s" and "r" correctly?

My daughter is 5 and she can pronounce "R" almost right. She pronounces "S" like "TH". eg. She says Yeth insteas of yes. Isn't she a little old to mispronounce? Should I talk to her dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine is 4.5 years old and has the same issue. I was on baby center and that sight said that kids have pronunciation issues until between 6-8 years old. That made me feel better.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Mine is 5 and has the same exact pronunciation issue.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 8:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• She is ok. Just remind her of the S sound...ssssssss, like a snake. I have a 4 yr old in my preschool class that has the same problem but she has been in speech for 2 years due to other problems. Her speech therapist said to remind her to say her s sounds, to emphasize the s sounds in words and to correct her when she says them with the th sound instead. Just do it gently. If she says, yeth, you say "yessss" with the emphasis on the s sound.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Perfectly normal... it is one of the hardest letters to get. My daughter didn't say S clearly until she was 5 and my soon to be 4 year old son still drops them completely. Just remind and practice. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I think it was between 4-6 that they really started to get the correct pronounciation of the S and the R.

kindergarten was a big help with the way to say letters and words thoughtoo.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Not pronouncing the "R" quite right is to be expected, but the "S" should be correct by now. (I have two younger than her in speech, and because "S" is the most frequent sound in the English language, it's usually the crux of most articulation difficulties) If it's only those two letters, she's probably not going to qualify for speech therapy at this age.

"S" should be pronounced correctly and not dropped by 3 (per two speech therapists). Practice making the sound first. Once that is mastered (just making a LOT of snake sounds) then practice saying words with it in the beginning position, then the end position, then the middle position (waiting until one is mastered before moving on to the next position)

My 4 year old is still in speech and they've not done the "R" yet and his delay is only articulation. I was told it's common to "W" the "R" until 6 or 7.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My daughter has cleft lip/palate and has had speech therapy for lateralization of her s sounds. A VERY effective technique that fixed this right away was using a straw. Have her hold in in the center of her mouth and blow. Have her feel the air that comes out. Then have her say her "s" sound, making sure that the air comes through the straw, and not out the sides of her mouth.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 9:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• mine is 5 and still has some issues like B D and P all sound like a B. And R still sound funny, like a W. th sounds like a D. It's funny because he is learning to spell by phonics so he'll spell Rabbit. Wabit. lol! We really need to correct I know but it is kinda funny.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• it's normal and my brothers were all about 7-8 before they outgrew it. if it goes much past there the school will probably put her in speech therapy, but thats ok too.
    mr2snafu

Answer by mr2snafu at 9:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2009