what exactly is an addictive personality?? and do you feel that SOME people use that as an excuse for there "addictions"?

No this question isn't meant for drama but I really am not sure what it means. If you are someone that feels this is you, is it an obssesive thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do think some people are more prone to developing addictions. Mainly these are people who suffer from depression or manic-depressive disorders. The addictions serve as distractions from the emotional pain and insecurity they suffer....it's something else to focus on. My father was like this. He would basically jump around between different addictions...gambling, drinking, sex, ect...

I think it is possible that someone might use the "addictive personality"" thing as an excuse to not seek medical help for their problems. But I do think that the addictive personality does really exist.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 8:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I've been described with an addictive personality, by my psychiatrist, and no I don't use it as an excuse for my addictions. I'd like to rationalize that I'm spoiled as "One is too many and a thousand is never enough." The reality is that person is a prisoer of their own mind. Self-centeredness is the core. Despite my clean time (otherwise referred to as sobriety by alcoholics, "clean" meaning drug free), my "addictive personality" remains intact. The drugs were merely a bandaide for a much deeper problem. My official diagnosis is Bi-Polar, PTSD, OCD. These things are tied to brain chemistry and is not a joke. I realize that you specified SOME people. Please realize that there are a lot of people who don't have access to private insurance and their health/mental issues suffer as a result. Many go undiagnosed for years. Tis the season to donate your valuable time to helping those still prisoner.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It means that some people could be more at risk for developing additions. Yes, I do believe some use it as an excuse. I've seen it first hand.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• *addictions* not additions.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2009