Pagans

What is the purpose of your Gods and Goddesses?

-Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What Sabrina said.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Just like the Christian God, or Jewish God, or Muslim Allah. Sort of. Gods and goddesses for me are the different aspects of the great divine. An easier, more personal way of understanding each one. Kind of like, the go betweens, or aspects of, the great goddess and the great god. They're also something to look up to, to try and embody. My "patron goddess" is Cerridwen, for her wisdom and motherly aspects. She was the keeper of the cauldron of knowledge.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• What is the purpose of ANY God??

Depending on the specific God or Goddess you are speaking of, there are a great number of purposes... Creation, Elemental Balance, Spiritual Balance... The list could go on...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• OP, what is the purpose of YOUR god?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• To provide me with nachos.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 10:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• MamaK

I'm trying to figure that out exactly. I am Pagan. ...but i'm trying to figure out exactly what role the Divine plays now.

-Faithful4ever
    Anonymous

• IMO the universe itself is 'god'.

In order to be better able to wrap our developing minds/consciousness around the concept of energy we personified different aspects of the universe and the natural order of things.

Consider if you will that the archetype of the god/dess is similar to the candle flame that focus' your meditation. By concentrating on the personification created we are better able to focus our mental energy where it is needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Strength, I can gain some insight and guidance by their stories.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• To provide me with nachos.

Nachos?

I wasn't told there'd be nachos. you guys really need to put that in the brochure!

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• As stated there are multiple purposes for multiple gods, but basically the purpose of all gods are whatever you need from them. They are the connection to what we sometimes call "the divine" or "the universe" which is really difficult to understand without breaking it into pieces and/or putting a face on it. In my opinion (and it isn't the most widely held) gods are manifestations of energies, given life & power by our belief. Sort of the concentration of the pieces of energy into one thing we can identify with for the sake of accessing that energy & merging it with the energy of the Earth (if that makes any kind of sense). They are also a way to connect with our spiritual selves.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009