What do you think?

Ok, so the other night, my husband, 10 week old son and I were at a restaurant, waiting in the lobby. There was a mom with her baby on her lap, and she said she was 12 weeks old. There was another family with a little boy of about 4. He walks up to the lady and her baby, and the mom offers for him to kiss her baby....on the mouth. As I'm watching this, I'm thinking "There is NO WAY I'd let some kid I don't know kiss my baby on the mouth!" With the flu season and everything, and the baby being so young, this just surprised me. My husband says that it was totally fine that the lady let the kid kiss her baby. What do you think? Am I just paranoid?

I really don't think I am, lol. My son's pediatrician has warned me about anyone even handling him without washing their hands, let alone kissing him on the mouth.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• yea, that's too much for me. i was at the park the other day with my 11 mo old and 3 year old and as we were leaving a little girl about 2 touched my 11 mo old on her face. i didnt say anything rude but it bothered me so much, i worried for hours that she might have caught some virus! and im not a germophobe either just the whole swine flu thing and who knows how grubby that 2 year old's hands were!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• At the hospital we were told to avoid public places until the children were 6 weeks old, at that point sure take them out but be careful about letting people touch them. I would certainly agree that letting some strange kid kiss your child is just asking for an illness
    Anonymous

• I woulded freak out at all, I think it's normal.
    Anonymous

• Are you sure the baby wasn't related to the child? I never let anyone touch any of our babies..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I think its odd both ways.. why would you let your 4 year old kiss some ladys baby and why would you let some random kid kiss yours. weird to me..
    Anonymous

• Are you sure the baby wasn't related to the child? I never let anyone touch any of our babies.. "

I'm positive. I could hear the entire conversation between the two mothers. They had never met. Ok, so I'm not a germaphobe, then, lol. my baby's car seat was covered with a blanket, and we had him in a corner, lol. I wouldn't even take him out of the car seat if I didn't have to in that big crowd, lol!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i would have been a bit concerned if the boy looked like he had a cold or something, otherwise, no I wouldnt have a problem with it
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• thats just yucky and creepy. I'd never invite a total stranger to kiss my baby.

only mommy, daddy, and the siblings got to get that close. and gramma...etc. strangers hell no.

I'm not a germaphobe either but ick.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Eww, no way! I have a hard time with my neice & my son kissing goodbye, and actually tell them no kissies!
    Anonymous

• There would be no way I'd allow that. Even if there weren't any threat of flu or virus, I don't know that kid or where he's been. I don't even like kissing my own kid on the lips, I'm very uncomfortable with it. Let alone allowing a stranger to kiss my child on the lips.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2009