My MIL is telling me....

I am nursing a nine month old and just started getting regular periods again about 4 months ago. DH and I have been TTC and I mentioned in another question of mine about a pregnancy test showing me a faint positive line and the when i took one several hours later it didnt show one at all. So my MIL says that being around a newborn ( my friend just had one) can screw me up and make me miss my period again and make me show up a false positive on a pregnancy test..is this possible? and has it happened to any of you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• No.. false positives are very rare. Typically only if you have just given birth or miscarried - less than 8 weeks you can get a false positive. Other than that - I *think* some cancer drugs can do it. So if you had a positive (even faint) you are pregnant. The reason it may have been false the next time is because you are very early.

Take another in a couple of days. Congrats!!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• nursing can mess up your periods, but just being around a newborn doesn't do anything to you - it's the nursing that affectsyour hormones.
    as for the line, if it was very faint, and you can't get another + over the next few days, I would chalk it up to evaporation line.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Nursing affects your periods, but it doesn't not give you a false positive on a pregnancy test. One of two things happened. You either misread an evaporation line as a positive. An evaporation is a colorless (slightly grey) ghost line. If the line was a pale pink or blue, depending on the brand of test, then that is a positive no matter how faint. You can get a positive and then later a negative because your urine isn't as concentrated later as it was when you first tested. Buy another test and take it first thing in the morning.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i've never heard of that...i have heard that usually if women are around each other a lot they tend to ovulate around the same time
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• mil is wrong.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have heard of a chemical pregnancy... which causes your hcg levels to increase due to meds but not by being around a new born... after all you have been around a new baby for 9 months now. I would wait a few days, do not stress, not think about being pregnant or not, and test first things in the morning . They say the hcg levels are more concetrated in first morning urine and testing is more accurate sooner.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• a chemical preg is when your egg gets fertilized long enough to increase your pg hormones but it isn't viable and goes out with menstruation. that's a quick and dirty definition but gets the point across.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If you took your second test with anything but first morning urine the test was wasted. You're pregnant. Breastfeeding DOES NOT create pregnancy hormones.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Okay well you are pregnant, Yes BF can mess with menses. NO being around a newborn will NOT! Faint Positive means positive during that 5 minutes! Checking a test after 5 mins is pointless the line fades MORE because the urine is drying the stick. Read the pamphlet which comes with the test.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Oh and I recommend one of these no crazy lines just a clear yes no answer!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AUy0ZZDIL._AA280_.jpg

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2009