Walkers

Do you think walkers help your baby learn to walk?

QuintinsMom520

Asked by QuintinsMom520 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NO.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• No, not really. The exersaucers are actually better because they help them build up their muscles to stand. I think the walkers sometimes inhibit them from learning to walk because they don't have to use their balance. They just rely on the walker and push it around. The best way for them to learn to walk is to let them progressively get more brave and let to as they are standing. Let them out on their own. It goes much quicker.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• No!! Pulling up, and then creeping is what gets them ready to walk. Walkers are just entertainment. They are also dangerous near stairs!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Wow I went back and forth and drove myself nuts with this one! My first baby and I read they cause a delay. Her ped also told me NOT to use one so I returned it. However many ppl that I know did use them. My daughter walked one day shy of being 19 months just last week actually. If you do decide to use one, just use it in moderation.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You use the muscles from the hips to the legs to walk, but in a walker all they use are the muscles from their knees down. They do a great job of walking when they have finally mastered it on their own, but that doesn't mean walkers help them learn to walk. My son is delayed in gross motor and has physical therapy. Both PT's tell me walkers won't make a difference. I trust them and all the other posts other people have written and not the norm.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Nah, not really. They're just a different toy.
    Anonymous

• Walkers scare me. We got a jumperoo instead, which doesn't help them learn how to walk, but it builds leg strength. She had a ball in it . . . jumping around like a madwoman! It was so cute to watch!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I would much rather recommend a saucer over a walker. Walkers are dangerous!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Nope. We never had one and all of mine were walking before a year.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The US is the only industrialzed country in the world that has not banned walkers. They are dangerous.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2009