Herbal tea remedies while pregnant

I'm starting to come down with a sore throat. It doesn't really hurt yet, but it's irritated when I swallow and feels like I have something lodged in it which I don't. I've been drinking tons of water to help relieve that "swollen" feeling, but I have some chamomile and some peppermint tea and I know one of those is good for sore throats, but is either ok while 8.5 months pregnant? I plan to add some honey to it as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Chamomile is great for morning sickness and other stomach ailments. Peppermint is a natural decongestant. Elderberry is a natural anti-viral (proven to be more than twice as effective as Tamiflu, and does not have any side effects), especially for upper respiratory ailments.

The best remedy for a sore throat and cough is a syrup made with equal parts of honey (anti-bacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory). You can also get zinc lozenges; just make sure that you get a citrus flavor (they are nasty) and don't go over the recommended dosage.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i heard chamomlie is not good to use while pregnant. . .i was researching herbel teas last night & there is so much info out there that contradict each other to be honest. . .i drink peppermint right now my OB said that was ok.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Chamomile and fennel seed is what the Germans use to give their kids to help them sleep at night. I would just ask a doctor to be sure but I think it would be fine.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Many sources will tell you to stay away from herbal remedies while pregnant... Regular teas are fine, by most OB standards- but since the regulations are so varied for herbal "remedies" you never really know what you are getting.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with a cup of peppermint tea while pregnant.
    Anonymous