Gift exchange

If you don't want to do a gift exchange for whatever reason, and you get your family members to agree, why do you get upset if they give you a gift. You didn't want to give a gift, so you got your wish, why be mad if someone wanted to give?

Readerlady

Asked by Readerlady at 9:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Holidays

• I don't know if I would be mad but I would be upset. It is that they are not taking your feelings into consideration - I do not want to do the gift exchange because I do not want to receive the gifts. I think it is unnecessarry to receive/give a gift just because it is Christmas. In my family most of the gifts end up being lotion (I don't like any brand except the one I use, Euricin), coffee mugs, calenders or other nondescript items that to me are, I don't know what to give you gifts. I would rather everyone donate $ to a charity in our families name.
    Anonymous

• If someone gives you a gift that doesn't mean you have to give them one. Accept their gift and appriciate that they thought of you and leave it at that. There isn't any reason to add unneeded emotions into it, when all it was, was a sweet gesture from them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't feel upset unless they acted like they expected a gift in return. But since it was agreed not to buy gifts and they did anyway, I would think they shouldn't be expecting anything.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I do not care about receiving gifts, but I do enjoy giving. To me Christmas is a time to give, both to charity and to people I love. For me being told not to give deminishes my joy of my holiday.
    Anonymous