avacado

Why do a lot of moms suggest avacado as a first food. I know quiet a few people allergic to it and would go into anaphylactic shock if ingested and some if them even if it touches them. I, myself, never plan on giving my LO avacado, father is HIGHLY allergic to it and so is mother in law. I am not bashing anyone who does, I was just curious since it is a food that can be a common allergy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oops, I meant to hit the email button but hit the anonymous button. This question was asked by me.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i give it to my daughter who is 6 months now...but there is no food allergies in the family at all and she didnt have a problem with it...if there was a history of allergies i wouldnt offer it to my baby until she was older, or she tried it on her own..theres always going to be controversy on what you should/shouldnt feed your baby..i jus go by what i know
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I actually didn't know avocados were a common food allergy. I've heard about quite a few of the others and my husband actually does have a few food allergies, so when my daughter starts solids, I'm going to have to be careful about what to give her. Avocados isn't one of his allergies, though, and I had fully intended on giving her avocados pretty early on since they mush up nicely. Hmm.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My husband and his mother could die if they get avacado in their mouth. I work in a school and quite a few of the kids are allergic to them.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I did not know this about avocados either.  Here is a link I found . . very interesting.  It says most people who are allergic to latex are also allergic to avocados!

http://www.allergies-team.com/a40-help-i-am-allergic-to-avocado.php

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Latex, avocado and cantelope are all in the same allergy family. Chances are, if your babe was born in a hospital, or has seen a ped since birth, you would know about the allergy before starting solids.

Really, they can be allergic to nearly anything... if you've got a family history, avoid it. Otherwise, it's easy for them to mash in their mouth, yummy, and full of good fat and other nutrients. What more could you want from a starter food?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Wow. NEVER heard of anyone having such an allergy before.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• By the way...it's suggested because it's easily digestible, doesn't need prep and has lots of good calories. It's not really a common allergy, as peanuts seem to be.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Avocado is not a common allergy trigger food. Interestingly, soy is, but you don't hear much about the potential dangers of formula.

Obviously, when there is a family history of food allergies, you avoid that food.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Avocado is actually a very low allergy food... some people however do have allergic reactions to them, but it's not the norm. But I wouldn't feed my child it either if there was a family history of allergies to it.
    It's a good first food because it's low allergen, easy to digest, a nice texture and loaded with tons of vitamins and healthy fats.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2009