Have you ever wanted to be Amish?

I grew up seeing the Amish everyday and there were times as a teen that I wanted to be one of them. I used to see the little girls looking at me in my 'English' clothing and little did they know I was looking at them in the same way- curiously and even longingly.

I've heard of Amish leaving the community to live in the 'world', but never really anyone from the outside converting to their ways. Does this ever happen?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it would be fun to do a Wife Swap with them. I just would love to see what it really takes to be the ultimate housewife! :) Then going back to my life would seem like a piece of cake!
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I too have thought sometimes it would be nice to be a part of the "simpler" life. I know they have their faults and problems but it would be nice to be without so much of our technology that at times brings so many problems to our lives.
    Anonymous

• At times I thought it might be neat to live in a close group where roles are well-defined. Where worldly distractions aren't so prevalent. But in the end I prefer the freedom I have in my life.

Answer by Bmat at 9:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It does happen that an "English" women (usually) converts to the Amish lifestyle if she marries an Amish guy. Some communities don't allow this though, because some are more strict then others. I have always admired their hard work, family values, dedication to their beliefs and lifestyle, etc. I grew up thinking I would like that life and sometimes think I'd be better off. I'm waay too connected the the technology world and have become lazy because of it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I've never wanted to be Amish, but my parents seriously considered joining the Mennonite church when I was younger.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• No thanks, I like electricity and indoor plumbing.. I'm not being smart but if I want to go without those things I will go camping. Which isn't much fun to me as well...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I agree with the other replies. I have admired their lifestyle often and think that they are doing it right. They live a life of purpose, connected to their community in a way that is lacking in our society today. I feel that they will be the last ones to be affected by the craziness going on in our world since they are so self-sufficient.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have too...lol
    Anonymous

• It is appealing at times. I've often wanted to go live with them for a year.
    Anonymous

I AGREE
    Anonymous