Any ideas on how to fix this?

My son is 6 months old. He started sleeping through the night at about 3 months. He'd nap a few times during the day, fall asleep at 11-11:30 pm and sleep til about 10am. Awesome, I know. =) But now all of a sudden, he's been sleeping so much longer during the day...like an hour to two hours at a time...and he still falls asleep at 11-11:30, but then wakes up between 1-2am wide awake, wanting to play. The only difference is now hubby is working till midnight monday through friday. So do you think he wakes up because he knows daddy's home and wants to play with him? I just don't know. He wakes up at night, and is up until 3-4am. It's driving me insane. Cuz hubby doesn't get home from work until 12:30 am so I haven't even gotten to sleep yet when our son wakes up. So I'm up every night until like 4 in the morning. I just want him to SLEEP! lol My daughter slept completely through the night at 5 months old. HELP PLEASE! lol

michellelee3708

Asked by michellelee3708 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe try cutting a nap in half during the day. My son just recently went from 3 naps a day to just one. Now he goes to be at 7:30 and sleeps all night long. Good luck
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I don't know what to tell you to do about it, but I swear my daughter used to stay up extra late waiting for Daddy to get home. How cute and sweet is that? I know you're exhausted though, so I'm sure that cuts down a bit on the sweetness (lol). Maybe try as leann suggested and cut down the daytime naps or wake him up earlier in the morning. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Try making his routine more conducive to him sleeping at night. Cut a nap during the day, play with him extra at night to tire him out. Also, a full tummy will help him sleep longer at night. Just make sure Daddy is on the same page and that he doesnt go in to play with him when he gets home. It might be rough the first few day but it will well worth it once he adapts.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Cut a daytime nap. But it's not at all surprising that he's changed jhis patterns. Most babies do.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It's probably because the night has gone from being totally quiet, to there being noise. No matter how quiet you guys try to be...he can "sense" movement and thinks it's time to get up.

I'd try wearing him out a little bit...don't let him sleep so late in the morning/afternoon.

Don't get him up when he wakes, go back in to tuck him in but don't talk and don't turn any lights on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• How many naps aer we taking? You say a few so to me that implies more than 2. I would think a morning and and early afternoon nap would be fine. If you have not cut back to two naps a day I would start there. If you have then see about pushing the afternoon nap a little earlier. Also, a lot of babies will wake up early in the morning and talk to themselves or fuss a little. I would wait it out and see if she plays herself back to sleep. Mine used to do that regularly. I would leave him in his bed unless he was starting to get distressed and then nurse/bottle back to sleep in a semi dark area to indicate it was still sleep time. It was a phase.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2009