do you feel pressure to spend money you wouldn't normally spend do to the holiday?

I just caught myself being way more generous than I can afford to be! Woah! Slow down easy turbo!lol

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No.
    But then again, I'm not one to succumb to peer pressure.
    Anonymous

• No. We do spend more at this time but we only ever really buy the kids toys at Christmas and their birthday. We just happen to have 4 kids so it gets pricey to get them all a few toys. But then they go the rest of the year rarely getting anything but clothes (which we get on clearance) until their birthday rolls around.
    But I don't feel pressured. My kids don't make lists. We don't even ask them what they want. We pick things based on their interests and our budget (don't care how many times my 9yo says she wants a laptop she won't be getting one until high school). I ignore commercials and when my kids start begging for something they saw I make a mental note and then ignore them or tell them to stop or they will get nothing. We spend about $500 on Christmas for 4 kids, don't buy for other adults generally, and it fits within our budge. We have no credit...it's all bought with cash.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• No I don't feel pressured to but I definitely am more generous during the holiday season.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I always want to buy as much as I can for my family during the Holidays. The adults (in my immediate family) pick names and we buy for the couple that we picked. However, I always see something for my parents, or one of my sisters that I would love to get them, but I never end up having their name. We all have a budget, so nobody gets 100 gifts and someone else only gets one. This year it's 50 dollars for the couple we picked. For my kids I don't want them growing up expecting a lavish Christmas. They get what they earned throughout the year, so they know that nothing comes for free. Good grades, good behaviour, and chores always completed are the contributers to whether they get gifts at the end of the year. Therefore, even though I want to spend a million dollars on my family, I don't. I don't feel pressured to buy or not to buy though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Yes, but not by friends and family. More like dh's work. We HAVE to attend the Christmas party (luckily tickets were free) where we HAVE to eat (and pay for) dinner and hang out for 3 hours. It's on a boat that will not be anchored to a dock. Everything to drink, soda, water, liquor, beer...we have to pay to consume. I understand most of it, but forcing people to pay for water? Of course, kids are not allowed, so we have to pay for a sitter. By the way, they gave hubby one week's notice about this. Like I have 50 bucks lying around for a sitter the week before Christmas...The same day they did a Secret Santa drawing at his job. Spending cap is $25, which is what he and I spend on each other. Fine, we were going to do a bunch of little things and make a great gift, but spending minimum is $20 and we were thinking $10-$15...DH has only been at this job for 2 months and doesn't know the guy he's buying for at all. ARGH!
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I never feel pressured to spend money. I don't buy what commercials tell me to.
    Anonymous

• I mean by media! I was at the mall the other day and it was unreal!More crazy than normal! Sometimes I wonder who I should buy for and what! I have a great job this year and want to knock the kiddos sox off this year. We usually struggle this time of year.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Not money, per se, but to buy gifts, yes.
    We feel the need to reciprocate with a gift to anyone who is thoughtful enough to present us with one out of the blue.
    I prefer a hug, well-wishes, and Christmas cards......as well as their company. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2009