Am I the only one that doesn't ask the kids what they want for Christmas?

We have just never done it. Too easy to set them up for major disappointment because they always want expensive stuff that we could never afford, especially with 4 kids. We do keep an eye on what they like, take note of commercials that peek their interest and take them to Toys r Us to look around and watch for the toys they gravitate to. But I've never had them make a Christmas list and rarely ever ask them what they want for Christmas or birthdays. They just get what they get.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my kids were children they would make a list, never asking for too much. Now as adults they do the same. I was blessed with considerate kids!

Answer by older at 8:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I don't ask. If he asked it'd be all crap he won't play with again anyway. I see what I know he likes and will use and get it.
    Anonymous

• i ask my daughter, doesnt mean shes gonna get what she asks for tho LOL
    Anonymous

• I ask my children and they usually get everything they want. However, I am going to cut back. My son knows he will probably get everything he wants and then some and that's not fun. I also want to teach them how to appreciate things more and see Christmas as a time with family and friends and not gifts. I like how you do it! I already bought this year but I'm going to do what you do next year.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i generally ask just to get an idea of what he wants. Id rather get him a few more expensive (20-30) things than a bunch of 5 - 10 dollar things he wont even look at after christmas day. Of course he has gotten in his head that hes getting a nintendo ds for christmas. thats not exactly what hes getting but he will just have to deal with what he gets and if he doesnt like it then we can always donate to someone who has less and would appreciate it.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 12:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I always have my kids make out a list and then I choose some things from their list and some things I choose myself. I look at it this way...when I end up receiving that neon green turtleneck from my Aunt I always think..why didn't she just ask me what I wanted? I so could have used a new blender instead..lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I hand my kids the toys r us big book and let them go through and mark items, they love it and know they probably wont get the things they mark but it gives me a good direction to go in. I do the same as Anon 18 I pick a few of theirs and a then i pick out things i know they need or will use.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The problem we have is our kids have very expensive taste. Last year my oldest (then 8 1/2) got it in her head to write a list to Santa. She showed it to me and it had stuff like ipod, laptop (she meant a real one), $50 toys, etc. There were only 1 or 2 things on the list that we could afford and would be likely to get (a lot of the stuff was junk we would never pay that amount for or that I knew would get lost/broken in a week). She showed me and I glanced over it and right away she was like, "I know, I'm not getting any of it." No duh. To me it seems cruel to even ask because I know 90% of what's on the list we can't afford or refuse to buy.
    Our limit is $75-$100 per child. Most of the stuff they want (just by watching the things they like) are between $50-$200+. Just not going to happen.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• We do the same thing with my SD (15). We just kinda listen to the hints she drops, stuff she sees that she likes on tv, etc. We will be doing the same thing with my DD (20 months). I don't think that's wrong at all :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Christmas is JESUS birth day why does every one want a gift on HIS birthday ........ I would not like it if every one got a gift on my birth day and I didn't.. so let them do some thing for some one else on JESUS birth day we help the children's home or seniors home or handicapped home ,abused women's home it is fun and learns us not to want some thing all the time.... People in jail .have children help them ........ I go to my grand children home and you cant get in there bedroom for the toys...... that are now trashed

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 8, 2009