how bad is birthing pain really with an epidural?

Just wondering how bad the pain is with birth or how everything feels with having an epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You dont feel anything with an epidural you are numb from the waist down. You can feel like the tightening when you are contracting but none of the pain.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• With an Epidural I couldn't feel anything at all. Without the Epi, it HURT, but I managed to handle it pretty well giving the pain I was in.
    Anonymous

• Labor pains kill! I didn't have my epidural til I was dilated to a 5, so I felt the pain for about 4 hours. After my epidural it was lovely. I didn't feel anything and could actually enjoy the experience of birth.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 11:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• with my first I didn't have any pain killers and it hurt like hell, with my second I had to have an intrathecal (sp) which is like an epidural as far as what it does but its just a shot in the back that wears off in a couple hours, because I couldn't relax enough to dilate properly. Having the pain killer was cool cause I felt nothing from the waist down but it wore off as I was pushing my daughter out which again hurt like hell
    Anonymous

• I just felt some pressure other than that I felt nothing
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I heart my epidural!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The epidural is something that doesn't always work for everyone, and for those who do receive relief, it doesn't always give full coverage. It's hard to work with pain-coping when it's not working because you can't move, you're strapped to the bed. This can make the pain worse.
    Birthing naturally is something that is usually intense, but not always painful. When a mom is following her instincts (usually upright, moving, moaning, etc.) she can do what feels best in the moment. In addition, having prepared mentally-emotionally, a mom can learn how to use mine-over-matter to appreciate that the contraction is working to bring baby out, it's a strong & powerful force, surrendering it can reduce/eliminate pain. (Fighting it makes it worse.)
    Having good support (partner-friends-family-doula-midwife) to keep mom strong and comfy is important, too!!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• With my first (natural waterbirth), it was intense & hard. I was scared and not working well with my body. SO it was a great birth on many accounts, but I learned after delivering what I could have done to improve it.
    So I "fixed it" with the next one (natural waterbirth).
    I had a new approach: trust, surrender, faith in the process.
    It made a WORLD of difference!

I know that some moms prefer the epidural, but for me, knowing that it's risky and harmful, AND that there are ways to have a great, natural experience was good for me.
    I had an ecstatic, fun, amazing natural delivery!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My first epi worked perfectly, I didn't feel anything (which allowed me some much needed rest since I'd been up for about 30 hours when I finally got it). When I came time to push I felt pressure, but no pain. My second didn't work as well, it totally numbed one side, and gave me just enough on the other side to be able to cope with the pain. I didn't efface completely, so I had a while where it really felt like I should be pushing but couldn't and they'd backed off the epi so I could feel to push, so I was in a fair bit of pain, but the pain was actually easier to deal with than not being able to push when everything was telling me I should be. The third time it worked great again, until I was feeling pressure and when the nurse checked me felt a foot, which meant a c/s (there was also mec in the fluid). It was actually good I already had the epi, it saved me needing to have it done in prep for the c/s.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Doulala - I agree to an extent I think that women should be able to feel it out to see if they can work with the pain or not. However, for many women, the pain sucks really effing bad and it doesn't matter what you do. I am grateful that I had the choice. My water broke so walking around felt uncomfortable and gross. The epi worked really well for me (but the effectiveness CAN vary greatly). I didn't feel anything until later in my labor and I could feel enough at the time of pushing where I could work with the contractions with some discomfort but not a lot of pain.
    So, for some women, labor is very manageable, for others, it's really really rough. It really does depend. But the epi for me numbed me up good during early labor. I didn't even feel the contractions. I'm going to see if I can work through the pain with this one but I will not hesitate to demand that needle in my back! LOL
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2009