formula *edit*

I don't want this to turn into a debate...no judgement from me!!

We all know that *nutritionally* breast is best. I don't think even a FF mom would deny this. Why, in America are we so inclined to use formula instead of breastmilk? Do you think that any of our health problems are a result of this?

I'm not interested in whether you FF or BF, just your thoughts on the question. Like I said, i do not look down on anyone for your choices...it is your child and you have the right to do what you feel is best. I FF my first after 5 months of BF, but am BFing my 6 month old, so I have done both!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Here we go. This has been asked a million times, why don't you do a search.

No, laziness and unhealthy eating contribute to the bad health AROUND THE WORLD, not just in the US.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• agreed, it has nothing to do with FF its all about eating and life style habits. Americans are obese because we consume too much fast food, expect huge portions each time we eat, gotta get as much as possible for our dollar, and then we sit around and do nothing instead of getting some exercise
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The only basis that I could come up with that bf vs ff being linked to health problems would be the fact that breastmilk has naturally occurring antibodies that helps protect babies from getting sick. Other than that I dont really see what difference it could make as far as adult health goes.

Another thing I often ponder everyone says bf is better than ff which I believe is true for the most part but alot of moms have to take medications everyday and/or smoke which also makes me suspicious of causing health problems in adults.
    just a thought
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 12:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I am a breastfeeding mom, but I'm not judgmental about formula either.
    I know my grandmother was told in 1953 that her breast milk would hurt her baby (she was NOT on any medication) and was given formula instead. I think a lot of women were told that formula was better than their breast milk and that they would not be able to produce milk. And of course because they weren't nursed the next generation nursed less and so on. The numbers have been going back up as it's gotten out that breast milk is superior to formula.
    I believe part of the reason is American's can only see breasts in a sexual way. Ask how many women feel comfortable nursing in public and many will say they are not. My ex brother in law would leave the room every time I nursed and I was very private about it because I knew it made him uncomfortable with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• People in poor countries can still nurse safely as long as they drink enough water and don't have AIDS. You don't have to have a perfect diet in order to make the perfect milk for your baby. As for medications, most women are not on any that will hurt their child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Well hmm... maybe some ff moms out there do it to take the "easy" road. When thats the case, the mothers may also be more inclined to eat convenience foods which could lead to our wide range of health issues these days. As a whole though, I think we just got bombarded with all the junk out there and it shows in our lifestyles and health problems. Of course, even people who live perfectly healthy lives can have problems so I dont know.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Personally, I choose to FF. I know people will hate me for saying this but the thought of a child sucking on my breast grosses me out. I see my breasts as sexual. I only want my husband to touch them. I KNOW they are intended for feeding your child. I understand that. I could just never bring myself to even try. Sorry if this offends anyone - I'm just being honest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Actually they are intended to be sexual and for feeding your baby. Lets face it men are hard wired to like breasts and babies need to eat from them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I don't think how we feed our children as infants impacts their health all that much. I have 4 100% formula fed kids and they are healthy. They are all average weight (or slightly underweight...skinny as heck), eat healthy, run around a lot, and rarely ever get sick and never more then a cold (although we had our first case of the flu this year...the kid is 8 and it was mild and we had our first ear infection over the summer caused by swimmer's ear...she was 9).
    I was also formula fed as a baby and I'm 100lbs overweight, hate exercise, had bad lungs when I was born (spent time in the NICU) and I'm a compulsive over eater. I doubt any of my health issues has anything to do with formula. More like the fact that my mom smoked the entire 9 months and then the next 22 years of my life, my parents were overeaters and we followed in their footsteps, etc. I've tried to break the habits with my kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I thnk that there are several factors; the biggest ones are the pressures from the formula industry, the porn industry and the media. Mothers tend to pass their negative feelings about breasts on to their children.

I once saw a great button: I make milk. What is your Superpower

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2009