Pet Peeves about being Overweight - for the overweight girls!

I went to the gym tonight and my friend and I were talking to one of the women working there. She said, "Well, if you're going to do this, you gotta watch what you eat. You can't eat fast food" and was looking at me - the fat girl. Yeah. I know I can't eat fast food. I generally DON'T eat fast food because we can't afford it. I don't usually buy chips or junk to keep in the house. I didn't get fat because I eat all the time. I got fat because I don't like to exercise.

Don't you hate it when people just ASSUME that you're fat just because you eat fast food all the time? I know some people (maybe MOST) DO eat fast food. But I don't. And a lot of my overweight friends aren't just shoveling Double Cheeseburgers down their throats. It's just annoying.

So yes, DON'T you just hate it when people assume you're overweight because all you do is eat junk all day???

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Health

• Yes I hate it, I ate so much worse when I was a size 5, we ate out all the time and then when we decided to have babies I was much more careful about my diet and the weight is from the babies and I do excercise and watch what we eat. I get so annoyed when people assume they know how i got this way. My grandmother used to make comments about how beautiful I used to be, Drove me nuts!

Now I just keep doing what I have always done, eat healthy and excercise and if it comes off it comes off if it doesnt then oh well at least I am still healthy and taking care of myself.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes, I agree. I feel like people think because I am overweight I eat constantly and am a couch potato. I have gained a lot of weight since getting married and mostly it is because I lost my job and became less active. I cancelled my gym membership to save money and can't always buy fresh produce, veggies now because we are on a fixed income. I have $50 a week to spend on groceries for a family of 4 - yeah no diet food getting bought in there!! I don't sit around eating all day and I'm not a lazy person. I know how you feel. Just ignore those people b/c they are ignorant and they have probably never dealt with a weight issue in their whole lives!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I hear you girl. I hate it when people look at me and think she looks like she can eat someone out of house and home. I eat three times a day. I don't pig out. I don't eat a box of twinkies. I have had three daughters and gained over 30 pounds with my first daughter and 15 pounds with my second and 20 pounds with my third. I don't exercise either. I know skinny people that eat more then me and stay skinny. Its not all about what you eat! Its also heredity too. My family is all big boned. I wasn't always this big either I once was a size 12 too. People need to look beyond someones outside and look in the inside that is were it counts. Looks fade but personality stays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I hate when "big" women are in denial about how they got that way. In the grocery store I check out what's in your cart or what you're putting up on the conveyor belt and I am NEVER surprised! Please, one of you just surprise me for once. If you're happy being overweight then fine, I don't care what size you are, but don't tell me how active you are, how good or how little you eat, or how healthy you are. If you're 300lbs and you consider yourself healthy stop lying to yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• They need to have a delete button for when you answer anon... just decided I don't feel like pissing women off tonight but I can't take it off now, oh well, sorry I guess.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Just ignore her. Some people just have to get a "dig" in to make themselves feel better. Yes, she may be thinner than us but she's probably got the face of a goat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• yes, some of us do over eat, but not all. i used to be thin, when i was little. I got molested as a child, then raped as a teenager, shortly afterward I gained alot of weight. I didnt change what i ate, but still got big. Became an adult had 2 kids which didnt make things any better. When i do groceries, i have a mix of things in there, usually all healthy because thats what we like to eat. The only junk food that we buy often, is frozen yogurt or ice cream and tortillas and salsa. I do hate the assumption, not everyone is the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Stupid Anons - I'm not worried about what someone who isn't brave enough to show their face has to say. For one thing, she's never seen in MY cart - I don't buy potato chips or soda (very often - I DO sometimes but it's rare), I don't buy Little Debbies or Twinkies. Hey, Anon:21 - do YOU ever buy that stuff? Because I know it's not always healthy stuff for the skinny girls either. It's the fat ones who take all the BS about Twinkies and cookies - when it's the skinny girls eat that crap too, they just don't gain weight because of it.
    Like I said, I'd worry about what she said, IF it was true but I know myself - AND I never said I was in denial about how I got overweight. I SAID I don't like to exercise. THAT'S MY PROBLEM. I can eat all the veggies and fruits I want but if I'm not moving my body, there is no point. <3
    I'm glad that there are other women who know what I mean though!
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009