What color is the fluid when your water breaks?? What does it smell like??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It can be clear or pink (if tinged with blood) or yellow, brownish, or greenish if there is merconium in it. It just depends.

Mine was green.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• From what I've read and been told, amniotic fluid should be basically clear (there will be bits of whitish material floating in it, which is the stuff the baby is covered in) and odorless (although given your pregnant smell powers, you might notice a slightly sweet smell). However, if the baby has had a bowel movement in utero, it will have a foul smell and color (this won't be something you'll be unsure about
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Usually clear and an almost sweet smell. If your baby has released meconium it may have a bit of a yellow or green color to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Clear and smells like nothing. Feels slightly slick and almost sticky.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• mm mine was yellow greenish.. lol maybe im weird but i was sitting in a hospital bed with white sheets and it was all greenish yellow after my water broke.. dont remember what it smelled like
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 1:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yellow greenish, as miss nevin had, is dangerous, and sign of meconium. It should be clear or pink (the cervix can bleed as it dilates, which is fine), and it will smell sweet. If you think your water has broken, put on a maxi pad, and you can try sniffing it (it's fine, that's how I realized I wasn't just peeing myself uncontrollably!).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• mine was kinda yellowy because there was some meconium but my baby didn't have any problems from meconium being in his fluid. =) there wasn't a smell
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2009