i just found out im pregant and was exposed to x-rays/and got a tooth pulled is it going to be harmful to my unborn

lena513

Asked by lena513 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no hon, its a tiny teeny amt and does no harm. they have you wear the radiation aprons just for legalities. one of my friends is an xray tech, who specializes in children...not haarmful no worries.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/xrays.html

With dental x-rays there is hardly any exposure to any part of the body except the teeth.
    prdill08

Answer by prdill08 at 1:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Im sure your fine, ha ha I went to an amusement park 1 week after I conceived and I didnt even know I was pregnant, and I had gotten drunk the day of or day after I had conceived her and she is doing great!! Everything is fine so far, you can be exposed to probably more radiation from the microwave...
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 1:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I had two different surgeries done on my mouth and never knew I was pregnant..I was heavily sedated and drugged afterwards..My baby came out completely fine. Its like my doctor told me, "Your mouth is a long way away from your lower abdomen where the baby is at." Good luck to you and Congrats..
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• No you are fine in fact my doctor told me to get my dental work done in the first trimester. I had a tooth pulled also and x-rays too.
    rav1987

Answer by rav1987 at 4:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If they DONT cover you up with the thing to block the radiation then it can cause low birth weight.
    They didn't cover my mom up with my first little sister and the hospital said thats more than likely why she weighed 4lbs 13oz (she was full term too) and my mom had gained 68lbs while pregnant. They couldn't find any other reason to be that small and then they asked a bunch of questions and one was about the xrays.
    As long as they covered you up then I wouldnt worry about it. That with my mom was 12 yrs ago and things have changed alot since then so Im sure Dentists are more careful now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• your baby should be just fine with my 2nd child i got and xray and my tooth pulled too less then a week later found out i was preg she is a very healthy 16 month old and i had no problems durning preg
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Ignore people who post anonymously.... It's absolutly REDICULUS that dental x-rays cause low birth weight. The radiation from the machiene is so focused and such a low dose the even without the lead apron the scatter radiation that would reach your tummy wouldn't be strong enough to reach your baby especially if it was a digital x-ray. I am in the dental field and while we only take necessary x-rays on pregnant women there have been NO adverse affects!! There's nothing to worry about!! :-)
    Punkie74

Answer by Punkie74 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2009