How do you breastpump while at home with your baby?

I never seem to be able to pump while at home which keeps me from being able to get to places I'm supposed to be. Suggestions? Resources? Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is quite demanding especially if your the only one home with the baby all the time. I did this for the first month of my childs life. I just had to make sure he was comfortable and ready to go and rush in and do the pumping..I also at times had to hold him and pump at the same time. Its very challenging..Good luck with this...
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I don't understand how you can't pump at home? Newborn babies sleep a lot. Just sit down in front of the TV, hook it up and pump away. Can you explain why you can't pump at home?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• They have a bra that will hold the pumps to your breasts while you can hold the baby, type, handle bills etc. Maybe check that out? If you can find time to get on Cafemom, surely you can find time to pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Why would not pumping keep you from places you're supposed to be?

Latch baby on one side and pump the other. Most effective way of doing it. Use a nursing pillow until you can do each one-handed.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Some women pump on one side and nurse on the other; be sure to alternate breasts. Or pump before nursing. Or wait at least two hours after nursing to pump
    Look at your baby or of your baby while you pump
    Drink lots of water, and be sure to have an extra 6 ounces every time you pump or nurse.
    Take brewers yeast tablets.
    There is no crime in having someone give your baby an occasional bottle of formula…

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I tottally get how you feel!!! My dd's 7 mo old now & for a bit I was trying to breastfeed before 2 solid feedings & pump before 2 solid feedings, I wanted to use the xtra milk to mix her cereals with. Well I tried for 2 mo or so & got so frustrated I almost quit breastfeeding all together. How old's your little one? If you can (not trying to store up for work) just stop pumping. Breastfeeding is SOOOOO much easier & less time consuming & I don't feel like I'm "wasting time" while feeding her like I did when I was stuck to the pump. I also noticed that my milk supply was decreasing during this time cuz I was stressing myself out over trying to pump. There were days where I just had to leave the house w/ full breasts & worry bout pumping when I got back cuz I knew if I waited it wasn't gonna get done again. If you need to pump to store up for like 1 bottle pump @ the night feeding or after baby's in bed. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Can you nurse your baby on one side, while pumping the other breast? You'll get more milk that way, and your baby will be occupied. :)

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Pumping on one side while nursing on the other is the most effective, but personally, I don't have the space on my lap for this!

My daughter is 2 months old. In the morning, I feed her on one side and then pump the other side when she's done. This way, I get 4-5 ounces per day for the freezer (which is about how much she drinks right now at a time). All other times of day she eats on both sides.

I also pump when I get home if I was out during her regular feeding time. That usually yields about 6 ounces.

Whenever you do it, try to make it regular if possible. That way your body can adjust accordingly.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2009