What do you do for your community/neighbors/soldiers or whomever during the holidays?

My kids and I want to do a volunteer thing, but cannot find anything within walking distance. Is there an online thing we could be part of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Contact the Salvation Army to help your community and the USO for soldiers. My husband was deployed to Iraq for 15 months, spent two Christmases there, and keeps telling me how much it meant to him when people sent him cards and kids drew pictures for him. It may seem like an insignificant gesture, but it really does make a difference. He says they especially got a kick out of things like silly string.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• We donate toys my children don't use anymore. We volunteer at the nursing home during bingo night. We don't A LOT of money because that is what most people need and want the most plus it's a great tax write off for us. We do these things all year long, not just during the holidays. if you can't get anywhere you could look into foster care for animals?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• *donate
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• We can't do foster care for animals, we don't have room for any more animals. I was thinking like mailing stuff or writing to people or something. One year we did do World Vision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I would call the salvation army first they are always a good resource. If they don't have anything i'm sure they know of someone. You can bake cookies and take them to the police station or the fire station or a local military base if one is close. When you go into walmart usually they have trees with people's names and wish lists on them we always pick one every time we go there. You can look for a local senior home and see if they need any help with anything or just go sit and visit with the residents. You can volunteer at the local animal shelter to walk dogs or pet cats. There are tons of things you can do just call around and see if there is a need you can fill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2009