My kids are so mean to each other!

My daughters are 5, 10 and 11. The two older ones are always teasing the youngest one. Seriously, every chance they get!! I don't know what to do. The youngest one is really sad right now because her sisters teased her about her new "babish" outfit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would talk to the older ones and ask them how they would feel if someone was making fun of them. Show them examples how they sounds or tease them about something to show them what they are doing. Remind them that although she is young they were once that age to and did the things she is doing.

I know we have this is my house and as much as they tease they also play together. Try and find things for them to do together and also ask the older ones why they are teasing her. If they are always doing this and getting in trouble they might have some resentment towards her. They may feel she gets more attention or more thing. So try and listen to them and just have a conversation.

Lastly, try and see if it only happens when the older two are together or if it happens all the time.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The way I fixed this was by letting the youngest do something special whenever the older two teased her... and when they ask "Why does she get ___?" I'd tell them I have to cheer her up because of whatever they did. They got the picture.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 5:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My kids are a lot closer in age - they're only 15 months apart - but when they would pick on each other like that, I would make them give each other a hug and say 5 (or 3, or 10, or whatever number, depending on what's been going on...) things about each other that they love - and things like "I love when you leave me alone" doesn't count :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2009