How much food how many times a day does your 9 month old eat?

I usually give my dd a 6 oz bottle with rice cereal in it in the moring then one for lunch then a snack of juice and graduates or just a formula bottle sometime during the afternoon then for dinner she gets a 2nd foods meat/veggie/fruit with a formula only oz bottle then a 6 oz formula/cereal bottle right before bed. It seems to be ok with her, and she also gets her vitamins in the morning so she gets enough VD. I just wonder if she is getting enough fluids, she is peeing fine and we have wet diapers all day so I feel like that says she is getting enough but then I think about it and it seems like she might not be..mostly because my dh is always saying he thinks she is thirsty because HE is always thirsty...LOL.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 9 months old and she gets three 7oz bottles, one 8 oz bottle. Cereal in the am, mid morning snack, fruit for lunch, afternoon snack, veggie or meat and veggie or whatever we are eating for dinner at dinnertime.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• When my son was 9 months this was roughly what he took:
    BREAKFAST: 9oz formula in a bowl followed by 1/4 cup oatmeal mixed w/a jar of 2nd foods pears in a bowl
    LUNCH: 9oz formula followed by a jar of 2nd foods fruit or veggie
    DINNER: 9oz formula followed by a jar of 2nd foods with some kind of meat in in (ex: ham & apples, chicken noodle dinner, etc)

He also had snacks in between each meal and often ate a little something extra an hour after his dinner. Snacks were such things as cheerios, gerber puffs, wagon wheels, fruit & cereal bars. Oh and he was always bumming bites of my food too anytime I had something of my own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• When my son was 9 months he nursed on demand (so I obviously couldn't count ounces.) and ate solids maybe once a day, sometime not even that. We didn't start solids at all until he was 8 months and a few days, so he wasn't all that interested in them yet. In the first year solids aren't really for nutrition, but for learning and experimentation. I don't know how much formula a baby is supposed to drink, but I'd think as long as she's having plenty of wet diapers she's fine.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• When mine were 9 months old:

Breakfast: some of whatever I had for breakfast and about 8oz milk in a sippy
    Snack: a handful of some sort of finger foods and about 8oz of juice/water mixed in a sippy
    Lunch: some of whatever I was having and 8oz milk in a sippy
    Snack: same as morning
    Supper: some of whatever we were having and 8oz milk in a sippy
    Snack: (about one hour before bed) handful of finger food and 8oz milk in a sippy

Yes, they were on milk per their pediatrician because they were eating all table foods and several other reasons.

She doesn't need vitamins if she's getting formula unless there is some other reason your pediatrician tells you to give them.
    She shouldn't have cereal in a bottle unless per the pediatrician for severe reflux.

cont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• ...cont

Her fluids are fine, but here are her foods? Yes she can survive on formula alone, but you can't switch her to milk at a year unless she's eating a good diet of real food. (at least you shouldn't nutritionally)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Like I said I asked about what your kids did/do...no need for telling me what she should or shouldn't be doing...Anon 8:56. K thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Four.

Breakfast around 8am w/ milk.
    Lunch around noon w/ milk.
    Dinner around 4.30pm w/ milk.
    Bedtime snack (usually oatmeal) around 8pm with milk.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Our pediatrician says at 9 months they should be taking at least 24oz of formula in addition to food, just for nutrition. Extra water if they are still thirsty...or more formula if there are weight issues (one of mine had weight issues)

I have to agree with the other anon about her not needing extra vitamins. The formula has all she needs, and what you're giving her is just going to waste. The body simply expels extra, and too much of certain vitamins is bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Her pedi put her on vitamins for the v-D only...so if her body gets rid of extra then thats fine as long as I know she has enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My baby is 8 months old, but I just wanted to say that when I was worried about him getting enough liquids while he was sick, the doctor said that as long as he was having three or more wet diapers a day, there was no need to worry about dehydration. I know that is not your exact question, but I didn't know if it would be helpful.

My little one drinks 5 bottles a day, usually about 6 oz, but lately sometimes he has wanted 8 oz. He eats some Stage 2 fruits in the morning (only half a jar) and some Stage 2 veggies at night (about half a jar). He is not super interested in the baby food yet.
    JewelsE

Answer by JewelsE at 1:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2009