How to wean from the bottle?

I have a 21 month old that is addicted to the bottle. He is perfectly happy just carrying it around. The nipple is split and it wont hold anything but he screams if it isnt in his hands. He will scream for hours without. I give it to him and he will go right to sleep just holding it. Any suggestions to make this easier for us?

mommyjones0608

Asked by mommyjones0608 at 7:40 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• take himto the store and let him pick out a sippy cup by himself. throw the nipple away to the bottle.he can carry it around if u want but theres no nipple.tell him it got lost or something.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• So he is just carrying it around? Then there is no problem. Let him have the bottle. Then again, I believe in letting a child decide when they want to get rid of their bottle. This meant my oldest had his bottle until HE threw it away at 2.5 years of age. My youngest is only 11 months old so he still has his.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Just take it away. You said it...he's addicted. It's a habit. Get rid of it.

The nipple being split is a safety hazard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You can just give him the bottle with nothing in it. Keep that split nipple away from him; a piece could break off and he could choke!!!

Take him to the store and let him pick out a cute stainless steel water bottle for "big boys"

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• The Nuby soft sippies help--they used to have one that was a sport sippy, that had a long spout similar to a bottle. Check the bins back in the infant section at Walmart. I went from that to the regular soft Nuby sippy to a regular sippy with Sam--he was really resistant to getting off the bottle. He also sucked a binky once the bottle was gone, then we had to break THAT habit.
    SamoandTimBug

Answer by SamoandTimBug at 10:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2009