how does the contractions feel like?

Hi, i am getting closer to that day, ther is a bout 6 weeks left and now i am getting worried. Is there anyone who could describe what kind of pain is that? how bad that can be etc i am asking this question becouse i was sure i am going for natural vaginal delivery, but as i am getting closer to my due date i am getting worried and thinking i wont b able to do this and maybe go for spinal epidural, so pls tell me about all that pain and what if feels like etc i need to know what i am going for, thx

Liana199

Asked by Liana199 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think for everyone it is different, I had back labor where my lower back hurt extremly bad, With my son i decided i wanted to go all natural to, Well It felt like severe menstraul cramps they were so bad that i had to wait and push after my contraction instead of during, Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly for you, Just dont wait to long like i did and want an epidural....They also gave me a drug called "stadol" which made me really tired i could hardly stay awake through my labor the whole expierence was bad but with baby number three i got a epidural and everything went much smoother, Good thing cause he weighed in at 9lbs 6 oz!
    WvMommyof3

Answer by WvMommyof3 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Mine started as lower back pain & I was peeing like every 10 mins. I cramped like period cramps & the intensity increased as the labor went further along. I puked twice on the mad dash to the hospital. When we got there they gave me staydol (which is the most useless medication I've ever had in my life, think its code for candy lol). I found I was in less pain up on all fours w/ my tummy resting on a pillow though the hospital staff don't like this position cuz its hard to keep the monitors on. I never planned on doing a natural birth & after that never will (not saying you shouldn't just saying NOT ME). The epidural is the most wonderful drug, you go, well I went, completely numb. It was a night & day difference, no way I could have enjoyed any of the process without the epi. Without the pain I was able to focus on the wonderful, amazing event unfolding & be a part of it instead of just tryin not to die or kill hubby
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i thought it was very painful but manageable. i also wanted to go for natural birth but wasn't sure how i would manage the pain because fortunately i have not experienced a lot of pain in my life. people told me it was soooo horrible but really it was so much less painful than i thought it would be and i did end up going natural and i'm so happy i didn't have to have a needle in my back, or a catheter in my hoo-haa, was able to get up and move around afterwards, speedy recovery etc. :) the contractions to me felt like very bad charlie horses or diahrea cramps in my belly
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I'm getting more and more worried the closer I get too. This is my second pregnancy so I kinda know what to expect, but this pregnancy has also been complete opposite than with my first daughter. I'm afraid I'm not going to know when I'm in labor bc I went in to be induced with my first and when I got there they told me that I was already in labor and having contractions but at first it didn't hurt, it just felt like ALOT of pressure and ot felt like she was balling up down low. After a few hours and right before I got my epidural the contractions hurt really bad, and yes they do feel like REALLY bad menstrual cramps. I handle pain really good, but they hurt and I had already decided I wanted the epidural. The epidural turned all the pain into pressure and they didn't really hurt after that. This may sound gross, but after the epidural the contractions made me feel like I needed to poop lol
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• thanks girls, i appreciate it a lot, well the bad mestrual cramping is nothing new to me, becouse i am used to the very very and i mean very bad ones, and it takes for first couple of days during my period which lasts for 7 days :(, so if thats what it is going to b like well then i think i can do it, :) i am used to it so i know how to handle the pain, which the most important thing is knowing how to relax, cos thats how i was dealing with my period pains, which i swear are very painful!!! hopefuly things will b well if my baby will turn head down, as she is still breach :( but i realy hope to avoid the c section.
    Liana199

Answer by Liana199 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Good luck! and be brave... don't missed any part of that unique episode of your life. It is an experience that at soon as you have your baby in your arms.... you will forget everything. I had 3 pregnancies.... and the last one I was nervous because I already knew how was the pain, even though the first 2 babies born within 2 and 1 hr after labor.... then for the 3rd one labor lasted 4 hours and after I signed paper that I was going to deliver the baby without any help.... I was "crying" for some medication.... until I gave birth.... but it was worth it!!!
    adita1152

Answer by adita1152 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2009