potty training

how do you know if a child is ready? My little one is 17 months but the thing is she will tell me when she poops> Which i think she doens't like it on her butt. For christmas i wanted to get her a potty. How do I start this? I'm a young first time mother any pointers? Please help me!

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 7:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i am a first time mom too, so im not sure if this works. But, here's whats working for us.

my granny, my mom, us, and the spare sitter all have the same potty chair (so they all look alike)
    every hour i take my little one to the potty and we sit they for 5 to 10 min.
    my daughter cooralates shoo shoo- with poop and uh oh- if she pees, so we have a shoo shoo uh oh song we sing on the pot.
    she is diaperless almost all day, and when she pees in the floor, you take her to the potty (same 4 poop)
    Most important;y, when she uses the potty, make a huge deal about it! im talking smiles and screams and ice cream!
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 9:43 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My first daughter was like this. We got her a potty around 16 months and let her sit on it if she wanted to, but it was never much more than that. Then at 19 months we just decided she could do it (she didn't show half of the readiness signs people talk about -- waking up dry, etc), and we got her a bunch of big girl underwear, picked a starting day, and said no more diapers (we kept a pull-up for naps and night to begin, though). We put her in underwear and a sweatshirt, cranked up the heat, kept the potty close by, and waited for her to start to pee -- then each time we'd move her to the potty and reward her anytime a little made it in. Day 1 -- and obscene number of accidents; day 2 -- 7 accidents, day 3 only 2; by day 4 we were out of the house with no diaper or pull-up. A bit of a shock to the system, perhaps, but she's been trained ever since. (She's 2 1/2 now). Lots of moms opt for a more gradual approach...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2009