Potty training

how do you know if a child is ready? My little one is 17 months but the thing is she will tell me when she poops> Which i think she doens't like it on her butt. For christmas i wanted to get her a potty. How do I start this? I'm a young first time mother any pointers? Please help me!

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 7:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's cute to get her a potty early, but 17 months is usually way too early to expect her to use it. However, set it up in the bathroom. When you go, she'll follow and sit on it, even with her clothes still on. Take baby steps here. Once she gets used to the potty, and is able to take off her own clothes, she may want to try sitting on it bare butt. When she is ready to use the potty, she will let you know, but don't force it or you will be in for a long, LONG, irritating journey. I did this with my son, and when he was ready to potty train, he transitioned from diapers to full time underpants in about a week. He was 3 years old though, and he was ready. Good luck!

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My son was fully daytime potty trained by 18 months. Not all kids are though. Some wait till 3 or even 4. At one year we bought him a potty and let him sit on it while i was using the bathroom or in the bathroom doing my hair or something. He liked it. We never pushed it but just let him sit there. Eventually though watching us and stuff he figured it out. By 2 1/2 he was fully day and night potty trained.

Just don't pressure the kid. Make it fun. Just set him there and make up a song about pottying. Sing it while your in the doing your hair or whatever. eventually he'll be potty trained. Not many 30 year olds still in diapers.
    Anonymous