childs last name

When my daughter was born her father and I were together now we are not but were still friends. My parents say i should change her last name to mine. What did you do? I don't think that i should but i need someone elses opinion.

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 7:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well it depends on you. Some families are very big into tracing the man's lineage thru his last name. My hubby would have a fit if I tried to rename our daughter. If its not gonna cause a huge fight then think about how you'll feel going thru life with a different last name than her. I can see how that might cause some issues in the future, picking her up from school but its pretty common to have kids & moms have different last names now. It really depends on you & what you want her identity to be. I kinda see a last name as showing who the kid "belongs" to, depending on why me & hubby broke up I might be willing to fight to change her last name.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If you two were married, she should keep his name. If you weren't married, she should have had your name all along. (just my opinion!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I think it is totally up to you. Would it cause a strain on your friendship with the baby's father? Would you want to hyphenate the baby's last name so she could have both your last names? If it's just what your parents want and not what you want, is it worth it?

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:54 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It's up to you.
    I'm married and my baby girl has my last name (if she were a firstborn boy it would have been my husband's last name). A second child will have his last name regardless of sex.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2009