childs last name

When my daughter was born her father and I were together now we are not but were still friends. My parents say i should change her last name to mine. What did you do? I don't think that i should but i need someone elses opinion.

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 7:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think so. Because whether or not you are together, or whether or not you marry someone else, or whatever, it doesn't change the fact that he's her father.

There are a lot of men that have abandoned their kids and their responsibilities. It doesn't sound like he has (since you say you all are still friends...). I wouldn't want to discourage his involvement in her life by doing something like that.

Besides, since she has his last name, I'm assuming that he's listed as the father on the birth certificate, I bet he would have to agree to any legal name changes.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I would say no, as long as he's still in her life and being a good dad. If he's a dead beat pos then yes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I did not change her(my DD) name. Most women change there names to there DH's last name when they marry. If you where married to the father I do not see why you would or should.

Answer by louise2 at 8:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i wouldnt, i grew up that u give the kids there dads last name.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• First off, do what YOU want, not what others want. Personally I would change it, but then again I didn't take my husband's name and my daughters' names are hyphenated to have both (and their father and I are still married). I guess this shocks people, but whatever. I'd say it makes sense that if you're raising her, you're passing along your traditions and not his, to let your child have your name, but really it's your choice.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You answered your own question. You don't think you should. Go with that. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Well say you change your kids name back to your maiden name. Later you meet another man and marry him . . then your child will not have your last name or his last name.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My daughter's father isn't in her life, so she has my last name.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 3:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2009