How can I get my 2 year old to wear pants?

My little boy refuses to wear pants, all of a sudden, and will only wear shorts. It's WWIII wrestling him into pants if I insist (and I pick my battles, and usually just skip it) and when he does have pants on, he hikes them up over his knees and holds them there...even when he's walking!
I only really want him to wear pants to church, and when it's cold outside (which it is) to avoid the disapproving stares of strangers who think I must not take care of him if I let him run around in shorts during winter...luckily we live in the desert so it only gets down into the 40's, but still!
What on earth is going on with this new "preference" of his, and should I even address it? I hate the out and out tantrum he throws about pants, but I feel like if I cave on this (as I have been, admittedly) then it sets the stage for possible issues later. Am I being ridiculous?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make a rule that he MUST wear pants outside. If he's just in the house, then let him wear what he wants.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 2:16 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I think this is fairly common - my older kids still complain when they have to go from shorts to long pants. I just tell my LO "we have to put on pants so we can go to XYZ" and add something to your errand that he will look forward to (like a toy from the Dollar Spot at Target, or let him pick out what type of fruit from the grocery store, etc). If he's in the house, let him go in shorts. Find out if it's the type of pants he doesn't like. My now 9 year old hated jeans when he was that age, but he would wear sweatpants because they were less restrictive to his movement.

Answer by missanc at 2:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009