Please explain to me....

...how and why some parents think a CHIROPRACTOR can cure the common cold and/or "cure" asthma?

Seriously. I'd really like to know. Kids aren't supposed to see chiro's in the first place, let alone the manipulation of one's spine and joints curing a cold or a lung disease.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• What makes you think kids"aren't supposed to see a chiropractor"? And anyway having the spine in proper alignment can let your immune system work at it's peak effeciency to fight off a lot of problems like colds and flu and so forth, that you might otherwise come down with. Next tie you want to bash a medical speciality, get some information first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Why do you think that they can't?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Many chiropractors don't actually perform their trade on children, they are just qualified licensed doctors that won't push vaccines and tend to lean towards homeopathy and natural cures.

There's no call for foul language.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My chiropractor only does accupressure on babies, not actual spinal adjustments. He thinks babies bones are too elastic and he could do more harm than good.

I don't know if it is dangerous or not. My chiropractor thinks so.

I think accupressure is helpful with ear drainage and circulation. Maybe that's what the people are having done and that helps not to CURE the cold but to allow maximum efficiency of the body so they get over the cold faster?

And asthma is usually an autoimmune disorder. Maybe the adjustments or accupressure help to rid the body of toxins which is what is perhaps provoking the autoimmune response?

I think some chiropractors are quacks just like some doctors are quacks. And I think some parents get fed up with mainstream medicine and turn to alternative because mainstream is not holistic and is very one-size-fits-all and often the doctors are strapped for time and ignore/infantalize you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I don't think they can cure the common cold or asthma, but like the others said, correct alignment allows your body to work at it's max efficiency. Relieving a pinched nerve allows for less pain, less restriction, more comfort and more restful sleep.

My chiropractor works with pressure points to relieve sinus pressure and encourage sinus drainage, and he successfully treated me for carpal tunnel syndrome and physical PMS symptoms.

As for kids being treated....I've taken my kids to the chiropractor. He uses a gentler manipulation when he does work with them. There are times when they don't need treatment. Kids do take hard falls and their spines can be misaligned just like an adult's. My youngest son had frequent headaches that were relieved with chiropractic care. My oldest son has mild scoliosis that could have been treated when he was a child if we'd seen a chiropractor.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• rkoloms...that doesn't answer my question, but then I should expect no less from you.
    anon :18...and there wouldn't have been if there was no attitude from the first poster.
    anon:32...thank you for a thought out response. No one has ever said chiro's do accupressure, and I honestly know nothing about it either. (and I totally agree about some chiros and doctors being quacks...I'm very lucky with our pediatrician, I know that!!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• http://www.altmd.com/Articles/The-Uses-of-Chiropractic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I've been taking my 17 month old to the chiro since he was born and as PP said, he doesn't do much manipulation, just acupressure.
    I would never argue that the chiropractor can cure a cold or asthma, but if your body is well aligned, it can work better to fight off illness, etc because it is not having to fight so hard just to perform daily functions. For me, it's one of the things I do to try to ensure my health and well-being.

Just out of curiosity, why so many anonymous responses? Is going to a chiropractor a taboo subject or something?
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• wow.. make jugment arnt u.. u nor i can tell a parent what thay should or shoud not do.
    KRIZZ25

Answer by KRIZZ25 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2009