Computer Help!

I have a desktop connected to a router for about 9 mos now. I use my laptop the majority of the time. About a month ago, my laptop will only get a signal when I am in the same room as the router or directly above it on the next floor.
I've tried 2 different routers, so it's not a faulty router. Based on my 'googling' - it has to be interference somewhere - but I can't find it.

Does anyone know what I can do?
How do you find the interference?

ARmom

Asked by ARmom at 9:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Technology

• Do you have cordless phones? We had a similar problem and found out that our cordless phone was using the same frequency as the router. Just something to look at.
    kywildcats

Answer by kywildcats at 9:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I do have cordless phones, and have tried unplugging them (including the base). I've also tried switching the channel on the router so it would not share the same frequency as the phones. Did you notice that your router was working properly for a while and then all of a sudden the interference started happening, or did the phones interfere from the beginning?
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:36 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes my router would work properly for a while and then all of the sudden stop working. We finally just took out the cordless phones and went and bought newer phones that weren't on the same frequency as the router.
    kywildcats

Answer by kywildcats at 9:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• sometimes you might need to move the router...try to place it higher up somewhere if you can...also if you have a wifi connection if someone in your building that your piggybacking off of stopped thier internet service you will have crappy reception...also previous poster has it right....other appliances (not just cordless phones) can interfere..the farther away you have other devices from your computer could help too.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If you have a wireless connect card from the manufacturer of your computer, uninstall it and let windows configure your wireless.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Is your wireless password protected? Could be someone near you jacking your Wifi and slowing things down.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 12:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I sort of got it to work. I changed the 5 ghz channel (as well as the 2.4 ghz channel).
    I still lose the connection in parts of my house
    but it's not nearly as bad. I'll work on moving
    the router next.
    Thanks again, oh & yes it is pw protected.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 1:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009