is it possible to over feed a EBF baby?

my son is almost 4 weeks and he seems to eat constantly. and i know its hunger and not a dirty diiaper or andything else.

luna08

Asked by luna08 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 4 weeks they have another growth spurt so that is probably what you are seeing.
    People claim you can't overfeed a breastfed baby.... but I don't buy it. I have seen some excessively overweight babies that are breastfed because they are offered the breast like a pacifier... every time they make a fuss they are given the breast. One baby I met was 25 lbs and she was only 3 months old! No one can tell me she wasn't overfed.
    But I think if you baby is really hungry and just doesn't have the need to suck then it's not likely that you would overfeed your baby.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• NO. you can not overfeed a BF baby (regardless of what some people will tell you).

BF babies will suckle at the breast for comfort even when they are not actively nursing... there are many different types of sucking motions that a BF baby makes, and NOT ALL OF THEM ARE TO DRAW MILK. they can still suckle and NOT be eating. BF babies tend to put on a lot of weight very early (how nature intended), and as your milk changes (which it does throughout the entire time you BF- newborn BM has MUCH higher fat content than toddler BM- mother nature is AWESOME!) they level off. unlike a FF baby that gains weight more slowly, and continues to build fat stores while a BF baby is burning them.

at about 4 weeks they hit a growth spurt. and another around 8-12 weeks, and so on and so forth. if you feel that he is hungry, FEED HIM. if a BF baby cries and is not dirty, does not have gas, etc. put them to the breast. period. (:
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• also feel the need to retort to the statement that PP said about BF women using the breast as a pacifier- THAT IS WHAT IT IS FOR, AND WHY WE HAVE THEM. there is never anything wrong with allowing your little one to suckle even if they are not actively drawing milk... that comfort is just ONE of the mutual benefits of nursing... especially when they are teething, sick, or scared. it is called "Comfort Nursing", and there is NOTHING that can replace what mother nature intended- silicone is just a lousy substitute for the real thing.

do not ever let anyone make you feel bad, or question your choices. ever. there is no "Wrong" way to nurse a baby, as long as they are well fed- whatever works for you & him- do it. and much luck to you!!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Short answer: Nope. :)
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 10:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i, too, think you CAN overfeed a breastfed baby. my step-son was over 120% in weight (no joke) when he was 7 months and didn't start dropping into the curve till after a year, which is when he was put on solids and 2% milk (dr. suggested bc of his weight problem). your breast will make more if the baby eats more, everyone knows that...there's no cut off for it bc if the baby nurses constantly then it will constantly make milk. but i'm sure that you are doing fine, and you should keep up the breastfeeding on demand unless your dr has a problem with the baby's weight gain.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• angevil53, the charts that pediatricians use are for formula fed babies, not breastfed babies, so that is a moot point. Also, as someone else mentioned, a baby can suckle at the breast and NOT injest milk; it's called comfort nursing. They can alter their sucking so that they drink no milk, or very little.
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 10:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• WOW, for once I totally agree with ObbyDobby! That would be the best answer in my book.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• You can't overfeed ANY baby because they will either stop or puke if they are full.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• yes it's possible. See this link for good info. http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/general_help/article.php?id=80

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• No. I'd elaborated but PP have.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/frequency.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2009