Home Schooling Mommies, Where Do You Get Your Curriculum?

I was wondering where most of you moms that home school get your curriculum? How do your write your lesson plans? Put together your units and your tests?

I'm a certified teacher and have thought about creating a website for home schooling parents with complete lesson plans for grades K through 12. My site would offer complete units with works sheets, lecture notess, quizes, tests, etc. If I did this, instead of charging per download, I would just charge a low monthly fee to be a site member and get unlimited usage.

Would a site like that interest you? If so, what do you feel would be a fair monthly fee?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• It would have to be really cheap honestly. Because no ONE site can provide everything people want or need and most homeschoolers have joined multiple sites like what you suggest, as well as purchasing curriculum, extra curricular activities, and joining websites like Time for Learning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

•                         http://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=2106&o=8101&l=dir&q=john+brown+home+school+  hope this helps

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I used K12 and in my state they paid for it. Amazing curruculum, real help from real teachers and lots of non-school activities. All through the state. LOVED it and thinking about doing it again for my 2nd grader.
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 11:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I do a variety of books, not one specific curriculum. Most of my items I got from Amazon.com with a few workbooks from WM and printables off the internet for various topics.

As for how I do lessons plans. I just figure what subjects he's supposed to be knowledgeable on, according to state laws, and write a schedule about which topic for which day. Then I do printables or whatnot for that subject and have it ready to go that day.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I get most of my curriculum used from ebay, amazon or www.homeschoolclassifieds.com. I also print up alot of things for free from the internet. My favorite sites are School Express( for handwriting worksheets)and Homeschool Share,( for free unit studies) but there are literally thousands of free resources for homeschoolers on the internet. I make my schedule for the week, the previous week, with a daily assignment sheet and a file folder for each day with the worksheets they will need for that day in the folder. I get frequent migraine headaches, so having their assignments already made up and a folder for the work that day really helps when I can't function. They're pretty independent learners. They'll do what they can on their own if I'm down for the count, and what they can't do, will wait until the next day.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Another thing to keep in mind is, as you can see from these answers, most homeschoolers don't use just one particular curriculum. Most of us use a variety of things from different sources. Out of all the homeschooling families I know, only 2 of them use just one curriculum. Everyone else, including us, use a mix of things. We use Growing with Grammar, Rod and staff, Alpha Omega, Spelling Power and unit studies. Using one curriculum doesn't usually work very well, especially when you have multiple children witih different learning styles.

There is already a similar site on the internet, like what you've mentioned, called EdHelper. They have a yearly membership fee which is very reasonable, but it is almost exactly like what you are talking about creating.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I am a homeschooling parent and I have to give my honest opinion. I would not pay for a site like this. There is no way that one site could offer all that I do. I use vaious places, many websites, library, books, my own knowledge, etc... There is so much for free on the internet, that it would not make sense for me to pay for something that I could find for free. The only membership that I do pay for is enchantedlearning.com and that is $20/per year. If you are going to do a fee, I would say to do an annual one and keep it low. I would maybe pay $20/yr.

As for what I do, I have gotten many of my recommendations from the book, The Well-Trained Mind, by Susan and Jesse Wise. Other materials that I get on the internet I google what I am looking for research and use the materials I find that will suit my children best. I also spend lots of time at the library. I also look at worldbooks to get an example of things.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the EdHelper information. Though I do want to offer units as that site does, and my original idea for pricing is less than they charge, I do not like their high school literature units. They do not focus enough on reading comprehension.

I'm certified in English/Language Arts, so my main contribution would be in that area. My best friend is certified in English and History, her husband is certified in History, Science, and Math and I have another close friend certified in Speech.

My plan isn't to slap some website together in haste. This would be a year long project before it's really up and running and while it only has a few units up, I would offer it for free.

I understand that most parents mix curriculums, because as a classroom teacher I did the same thing. But, my units and lesson plans would be complete so that if anyone wanted to base their year simply off of my curriculum they could.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My husband is also a software engineer and my long term goal is for him to write educational software that would be downloadable from my site.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I use P.A.C.E. AND ABEKA
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2009