Strange cough

I'm going to call pediatrician.. but in the meantime, has anyone's child ever had a cough that sounds like a sneeze?? She has a cold or something.. very runny/stuffy with a sore throat and the oddest sounding cough. I swear it sounds like a sneeze. She is doing it more and more often. She is 8, just started school (we were homeschooling) and has obviously picked up something odd...

mtnmama111

Asked by mtnmama111 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Typically croup doesnt cause them to act sick beyond the cough.

Anon :10... no oral albuterol does NOT work better than anything else!! It is nasty and doesnt work as well as inhaled albuterol. In order for it to work in the lungs it has to make its way down the stomach, into the blood stream and then into the lungs. Inhaled albuterol goes straight to the lungs and is MUCH faster acting. I dont know what your source is that the oral syrup works better than anything else, but I truly disagree with your opinion.

OP... an 8 year old should do totally fine on an inhaler and that is most likely what the doctor will prescribe. Unless it is REALLY bad and has made its way too far into the lungs, then he/she may prescribe prednisone
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Does it sound like a sneeze or like a seal barking?? If its a barky cough then it most likely is croup
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Like a sneeze- a loud one... it doesn't really sound croupy... and she isn't really acting very sick... I'm waiting on a return call from dr... we had snow yesterday and I don't want to drive out unless necessary
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• My littles sound like that when they have croup, or their little chest is just horribly tight - when they sounds like that our doctor gives Albuterol (oral syrup) to loosen up the muscles in the chest & throat and it helps more than anything else.
    Anonymous

• I just talked to them... she said it probably is croup.. we're going to watch her and treat with rest fluids and basic meds to keep down the mucus. I'm halfway afraid she'll pick up something nastier at the drs... so for now we'll just keep our eye on her... thanks everyone for your input!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I just wanted to add to this- our doc office also said that while the (steroidal) treatment can help with reducing the airway (which is obviously important if the issue is severe) it will also prolong the acute stage of the illness. As croup generally strikes younger kids and their airway is smaller- they have more difficulty. Our children are older and were kept out of preschool and daycare and so avoided infections like this when younger- so while her cough is distressing to me- it isn't really bothering her. We are just keeping them home from school so they don't get worse and so they don't spread it further- a tactic I wish other parents followed as well.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I just found this.. turns out we had whooping cough for about 6 months... funtimes...
    mtnmama111

Comment by mtnmama111 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2010