Do your kids believe in Santa or not?

Do they believe because you believed as a child? Or do they believe because they wanted to? Has Santa always been a tradition in your household?
Do they not believe because you crushed them and told them there is no Santa? Or because someone else told them?
What do you say to them when a classmate tells them their is or isn't a Santa?
What age are your children?
My oldest is 10, he found out this year about Santa, my youngest is 6 and he still believes. Santa has always been a tradition for my dh growing up. Not for me, but I remember as a child hearing about Santa going to others homes and me thinking why the heck didn't he come to my house! Therefore, we wanted to instill the magic of Santa in our children's lives. What harm can this possibly do?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 10:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Holidays

• no, we do NOT believe in santa. I have never allowed this lie to be introduced into my house. (anyone who says it isn't harmful should reevaluate the question just asked, and the reference to being "Crushed" about santa not being real- if a child NEVER believes it can never CRUSH them. furthermore, any child that is taught to believe something that is not true only to find out the truth later, then begins to question the validity of what adults tell them).
    they know that other children believe this, and have learned that (just like what others people think about gods) they should never say anything to them about it! we have yet to have an incident where one of my "Crushed" children has spilled the beans.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Growing up I didnt believe in Santa... My parents didnt want to tell us about him, eater bunny, tooth fairy.. then we find out they arent real then start questioning this invisible Jesus guy they told us about. Im SO glad they didnt. My hubby grew up with Santa, and he doesnt feel like it was a necessary part of his child hood. Therefore, we decided not to do Santa. My kids know where their presents come from. They know WHY we celebrate christmas. Not because they were good or bad. But because it is the day we CELEBRATE JESUS' birth. They know that christmas is all about giving and not so much about receiving. Thats how we want it and to each his own. I dont judge people who do santa. I NEVER ruined Santa for anyone, I was always always told that as a child that it is not my place to tell other kids so I didnt. I will make sure my kids do the same, and they will have consequences if they do, so we dont spoil it for anyone else
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yes we do Santa at my home and and me and DH both grew up with that tradition. I was never "crushed" when I found out that he was not real either was DH or any other person I ever knew and NO it never made me question my faith either. My sister on the otherhand never did Santa with her kids and they have no imagination at all they act like little adults and do poorly on any assignment that needs creative self expression.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 11:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• we definitely believed in santa as kids untill the day i found the wrapped presents in my mothers closet that were signed from santa...i was about ten...lol

as for my kids my youngest believes..shes 6. My oldest asked me just recently if there really was a Santa...shes twelve and VERY mature for her age...so i was surprised it took her this long to ask...i said yes he was real...and read her the story about St. Nicholas and who he was and his life story...i told her he used to be real but now parents carry on his tradition. She wasn't surprised and actually said "I KNEW that was your handwriting on the tags last year!" shes actually thrilled to be in on the secret and wants to help with making it fun for her sister this year...i think ill have her stay up with me to set out the cookies and let her eat some so she can feel like Santa...i know she will enjoy that!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• wow.. my kids have awesome imaginations.. because you see... i work with them and play with them... they dont need to be told a lie to expand their imaginations... thats what they have parents for.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• Yes, my kids are 7 and they believe in Santa; I believed in Santa and so did DH and we carried the tradition on. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE playing Santa to my kids and dread the day that they find out there is no Santa. I hope that the non-believer don't ruin it for them.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• So many questions to answer..ugh.

Yes, my child believes in Santa!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Do you think it's okay to lie to innocent children and give your kids reason to distrust what you and other adults say? My parents were religious, but didn't use Santa to get me to behave. Instead they punished me when I broke the rules. I knew getting my Christmas presents was contingent on being good. We did Easter egg hunts at Easter and my mother, not the Tooth Fairy, gave me a small gift every time I lost a tooth. No lies or crushing necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2009