Why are my sons cheeks so red?

My sons cheeks and chin have been red for a week now. I have checked him for fever and he doesn't have any. They feel dry. Someone told me that maybe they were chapped from the wind. He is not outside very long at all just going to and from the car. What should I put on them to make them better?

Simple925

Asked by Simple925 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son's cheeks get that was too... I thought it was just teething cheeks, and it might be because it seems like he's getting his eye teeth right now... but it also seemed to come with the change in the fall weather and just being dryer.
    We put a humidifier in my son's room and it has seemed to help some... and when they get really bad nipple cream works wonders! Not as greasy as things like vaseline... and stays on better than lotion... and you know it's safe for babies and okay to be on their face because mom's can nurse newborns when using it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2009

• drool can be the cause..and baby produce extra saliva when teething for example....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Cetaphil will help to moisture his skin.
    Anonymous

• Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• It could be Fifth's disease. The first stage is the bright red rash on the cheeks that gives rise to the name “slap cheek.” Call the doctor.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• could just be a rash too. Mine has been getting that since she was tiny. either vaselone/aquaphor or an hydrocortizone type cream might help. Like others said, there are other things a rash can mean so if you are concerned, as the pedi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• my kids have sensitive skin and if you breathed on them wrong they would have red skin....but if this isnt normal for your child and is something new....call the ped to make sure its nothing serious.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If you need to moisturize I would go with Vaseline. It is very gentle although a little greasy.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• If it proves to be dry, chapped skin (my son gets it at this time of the year), try Vaseline as the other poster suggested. You can also try Johnson's Soothing Naturals Sooth and Protect Balm. It's stick that can be easily applied to the cheeks and isn't as greasy as Vaseline. I typically use that during the day then put on Vaseline at night.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• A nurse from the hospital I live near recomended me aquapher. It is amazing. I swear by it. Its in the normal lotion section. Its kinda expensive but similar to vasioline and a lil goes a long way. It cleared up my sons dryness on his face in 2 days.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2009