What Kind OF GIFTS DO YOU GIVE to your children you gave up for adoption??

What kind of gift do I get my daughter I have up for adoption for Christmas and her Birthday which is Jan.1st? We have been in reunion for about 7 months just getting to know each other. She is 18. I have given a il necklace and photo album already. What kind gifts do you give to your children ????

raymajill

Asked by raymajill at 10:40 AM on Dec. 8, 2009 in Adoption

• I would give her the gift of family tree history. Do your genealogy and give that to her.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I'm afraid a gift isn't what she is looking for. TIME is the most presious thing you could possible give her! Something she might love is a dinner just you to so you can repair that bond. Anything that comes from your heart will be most appreciated. If you get her tons of stuff I feel, and I could be worng, that she will feel you are trying to buy her love, and as a parent you are only trying to become a friend and be in her life. I think mayb something you sit down and make for her would be much appreciated, like a baby book of what you remember when you were pregnant with her!!! I wish I knew a lot about my mom and pregnancy and things like this. I hope this helps!
    jlee38340

Answer by jlee38340 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I would love it if I could get a family tree for either of my kids. I've asked but my need to remind both bfamilies. My kids' bmoms pick out normal gifts that any kid would like (dress up stuff for my little girl, fuzzy soft blanket for my son when he was an infant last year). We like it when we can get together for a visit. That means the most.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• OP, I think your gift ideas are beautiful. I think she'll love having the photo album. Do you have any pictures of yourself as a baby or a little girl? I'm sure she'd love to have those.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:48 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Give her what you would have given her if she'd been in your life all these years :)

Sometimes I think we in reunion overthink things at times (myself included) my daughter who I relinquished has shared with me that the most precious things to her are the times that are not so overthought. The simple things, like treating her not as a guest in our home but just one of the kids - like she's always been here and belongs.

So 18 year old girls like a lot of the same things.....maybe selecting something that you yourself enjoyed when you were that age? That way the gift is sharing a bit of "you" with her?? How about a picture of you at that age in one of those dual frames so that she could add her picture?

Good luck to you!!!
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• As an 18 yr old young woman, do you have a pair of earrings to pass to her? Or something that was maybe your own mothers? What a treasure!

I love PortAngeles's answer also!

My 23 yr old would love from her other mom to receive something that showed that even if they weren't always close, she was always loved. Maybe an ornament or a figure to place in her home that you can share the "why" of it. I love to give those kinds of gifts - because I'm sentimental and mushy - lol. Then when I'm telling WHY this item has significance to me, I end up crying and no one understands what I'm saying - rofl.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 4:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Just an idea my sister and I gave our daughters each a silver necklace with links that will hold a charm when they were 13.Each event b-day,Christmas ,grad from high school and on we give our daughters a new heart.Some are really nice others are just one that we liked.We don't buy matching.They remember when each one was given.We got this idea from a much older woman we met years ago with this beautiful necklace crowded with hearts,she had started it as a child and now her family,kids and grand kids continued the tradition.This could be a connect between you two.Not flashy or expensive but  goes on and on and has sentimental meaning.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 6:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2009